Not enough space for MusicDB. Please free 6MB error message on boot

Hi,
I'm getting the following error message when I boot my Sansa e250: Not enough space for MusicDB. Please free 6MB. I can't play any of the music on my player, although i can still listen to the radio and navigate through menus. When I view the files on my computer, the MUSIC, PICTURES, and PLAYLIST folders all appear as hidden. I've deleted the entire MUSIC folder and then recreated it to make space, but this did not fix the problem and the new folder I created is still hidden. The player is almost empty, so there is almost 2GB of space on it right now. I have also tried the following:
updated firmware to current version (July 30, 2007); and
started player in Recovery Mode. I see the 16MB drive in Windows Explorer, but what am I supposed to do with it when I see this? I've also installed and tried to run the Device Recovery software when in recovery mode but the software says it was unable to recover my device.
I'm ready to chuck this thing out the window unless someone has anything else to suggest.
Thanks,
Lisa

SanDisk User

Re: Not enough space for MusicDB. Please free 6MB error message on boot

lisad, the "Device Recovery software" - did you download that from the SanDisk website? Just checking, because to my knowledge there is no Recovery Tool for the e250. The one on the website is specifically for the Sansa Connect.

My suggestion, at this point, would be to try formatting the player. If you know you've got x-amount of space and the player isn't recognizing it, it could mean a corrupt sector of the memory or something along those lines. As a warning, formating WILL erase everything on your player - but since you've already had to delete the Music Folder once, I'm guessing it won't be too big a deal.

To format the player:

Put it into MSC mode --> Connect to computer --> Open My Computer --> Right-click on drive for player and select FORMAT --> On format window, make sure File System is set for FAT32 and that Quick Format is NOT checked (unless you are running Windows VISTA, in which case you DO want that checked) --> Start Format

After the format is complete, disconnect the player and power it up - with luck, the message should be gone.

what next?
I have a major problem, it isn't recognize by tht ecomputer and i did formated it
and now the messeege of the recovery mode doesn't appear anymore
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Give SanDisk a call at 866-SanDisk
SanDisk Professor

the device recovery software you downloaded is not for the e200 series but for the sansa connect.
try putting the device on recovery mode then downgrade it to 12a firmware. i lost the link. post it here later

SanDisk Professor

to go to recovery mode: first, enable the hold switch(device must be off) then hold the record button and then plug it in the computer. dont let go of the record button until you see 'welcome to recovery mode' on the screen of the player.
after that, you will see  '16-MB-format' on 'my computer'. now download this. this will downgrade the firmware to 12a then format the device.

Hi, does this apply to the C140 also? I have the same problem... I get the message not space for DB please delete at least 4mb. When I format it it tells me that it was formatted successfully but when I look at the properties of the device I see that I have 120MB of free space and 852MB used. From what I see the format did not work. The firmare that I have is SAHA020007 and I can't find any firmware to download.

Thanks
SanDisk Professor

I am afraid there are different solutions. The sure fire way is to make sure 6mb is removed. I presumed u have already done this, next step is to remove the system folder. IF this doesn't succeed, reload the firmware with the methods like above.

Hope this helps.
TLG

Hey guys,

I have the same problem, and I followed marqck's solution but as I was about to downgrade the firmware back to 1.00.12a it gave an error stating that it could  not find the file specified and asked me to unplug the device and try again. But it doesn't work no matter how many times I try.

What am I to do now? I can't go back to the old firmware, formatting is impossible...

@marqck wrote:
to go to recovery mode: first, enable the hold switch(device must be off) then hold the record button and then plug it in the computer. dont let go of the record button until you see 'welcome to recovery mode' on the screen of the player.
after that, you will see  '16-MB-format' on 'my computer'. now download this. this will downgrade the firmware to 12a then format the device.

SanDisk User

If your getting this message then you just need to delete 6mb or more off of the player. You should be able to connect the player to your computer and view the files. Does it allow you to do this after you received that message?