Highlighted

Micro SDHC

Hi

Just purchased an 8GB MicroSDHC to make my V2 E280 into a 16GB monster. The problem I am having is that although I have 7GB on both E280 and SDHC card the E280 is not recognizing the full amount. Windows media player and windows explorer shows that the both contain the right amount of music but it do not show on the player.

My player shows the following: V03.01.16E

internal memory 7806mb

Free space 895mb

SD card 7784mb

Free space 877mb

Songs 4342  This should read between 5500 - 6000 based on tracks 64kbps

When I access the music there are a lot of artists missing . I have reformatted the E280 and SD card but that did not help. Any clues anyone.

Thanks

Gary

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Micro SDHC

[ Edited ]

It could be some of your player is not indexing some of the files due to bad/missing/incompatible id3 tags.  Download and install mp3tag, a freeware program for editing id3 tags.  Set the write format in mp3tag to id3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 only.  Don't use id3v1, id3v2.4 or any of the other choices -- they'll only confuse the Sansa.  Use the Tag Cut and Tag Paste commands in mp3tag to convert id3 tags of other formats to the one recommended above.

I seem to remember also someone saying how the Sansa wasn't able to access the full 8GB of capacity on the µSDHC cards when they were full, only about 7GB.  Supposedly, that was verified by Sandisk, but I'm not entirely convinced of it by any means.  Most likely it was some sort of miscommunication.  Take the card out and see if the Sansa can recognize all your files on the internal memory.  If it does, swap those files to the card and delete all of them off the internal memory, then see if the Sansa can see all of those files on the card.  That would be one way to test that theory.

Also, remember that not all files are going to be music tracks.  Some might be album art, for example.  That might account for some of the missing tracks.  From a command prompt console window in MSC mode you can count how many .mp3 tracks you have as:

dir h:\*.mp3 /s  (where h: is the drive letter Windows assigned to the Sansa)

You might also have other formats, such as .wma:

dir h:\*.wma /s  (the /s parameter gives a directory listing of all subdirectories)

Message Edited by TheMarkster on 07-30-2008 11:51 AM
Highlighted

Hi thanks for your reply.

I have found that the problem is not the tags but the player itself. Let me explain. I reformatted the player and completely filled the microsdhc card. Hey presto all songs appear under ARTIST SONG ALBUM GENRE etc. The problem arises when the player is then filled and as the music adds up on the player the songs on the sd card disappear from ARTIST SONG ALBUM etc etc but (and its a big BUT) still show as full in SETTINGS / INFO. There must be an error somewhere in the software for the player. Any ideas on how to get this rectified? There was no point in purchasing a 8GB card. I'm gutted.

Gary

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are saying.  When the card is full, but the player's internal memory is empty you have full access to all files on the card, but when you start adding files to internal memory you lose access to files on the card?  Each added file to internal memory means one less file available from the card?  Perhaps there is a maximum number of files the player can handle at a time?  How many files are now listed as available in system/info and how many can you actually access and play?  Are you putting the files into subdirectories and not into the root directory of the card or internal memory? 

You must create at least one subdirectory since there are limitations on how many files you can place into the root directory of a FAT32 device.  What happens if you put fewer files, but use as much space, for example with larger video files?  Is it a space issue or is it a file count issue?  I suspect you might have reached some upper maximum limit on the number of files the internal database can handle.  That would have to be addressed by the firmware developers in a future firmware update.

Highlighted

Hi

Thanks again for the reply.

You wrote  

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are saying.  When the card is full, but the player's internal memory is empty you have full access to all files on the card, but when you start adding files to internal memory you lose access to files on the card?

The above is correct.

When the sd card is full access to all tracks is guaranteed. Its only when I start adding to the internal memory the problems begin. When accessing the settings menu / info the internal and card memory read as correct. I would have expected in the region of 6000 wma tracks at 64kbps when combining the two but have managed only to show 4341 when I know that there are many more on there. I use windows media player to sync tracks to the player and have not noticed any problems there. I do suspect a firmware issue here but although the 8gb card is said to be compatible I doubt that it really is with the current firmware.There must be others who have this 8GB card and are having the same problems. If they are not I would like to know their way around this.

Many thanks for trying to help

Gary

Highlighted

Since my question has somwhat to do with this topic I thought Id ask here rather then create a new thread. I'm looking at getting a Sansa e280 8GB MP3 Player SDMX48192A70 and before I do I want to make sure it supports Micro SDHC ie an 8GB card like the other gentleman used,

Thanks

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@gtlifter wrote:

Since my question has somwhat to do with this topic I thought Id ask here rather then create a new thread. I'm looking at getting a Sansa e280 8GB MP3 Player SDMX48192A70 and before I do I want to make sure it supports Micro SDHC ie an 8GB card like the other gentleman used,

Thanks

Version 1 players = NO. 2GB SD cards ONLY.

(unless you use Rockbox firmware)

Version 2 players = YES. 8GB + SDHC cards.

Check the FAQ's on how to determine the difference between v1's & v2's. However, since you haven't bought it yet, you can't be sure; there's no clear markings on the package. If you buy it retail, you're probably going to get a v2. If you buy it on-line, who knows? There's a lot of old (but new stock) out there that liquidators, etc. grabbed up.

And for next time? Yes, starting a new thread would have been the polite thing to do; or better yet reading the existing threads on the subject. The same question has only been asked here, oh maybe . . . 1000 times or so!?!

The SEARCH button is your friend. Honest! Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Gary,

I experienced exactly the same problem and posted about it.  Here's the thread http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=e200&message.id=14543&query.id=99347#M14543

As I said there, my girlfriend works for Sandisk so I gave her the player to take into tech support.  They kept it for several weeks and verified the problem.  It is supposed to be fixed in an upcoming firmware update but who knows when that will be.  Obviously this needs to be corrected otherwise there isn't much point in buying higher capacity SDHC cards (16GB coming soon) for the Sansa if it can't recognize anything past 7GB or so.

Tom

Highlighted

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply. Very interesting.

I have contacted Sandisk support and are looking into this problem. If this is the case then there are more users with the same fault. I will post the findings of tech support as soon as they get back to me. This has got to be next on the list for a firmware update asap, otherwise theres no point in shelling out for the larger card.

Gary

Highlighted
SanDisk User

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem described in this thread, but would it be worth while deleting the database to force it to rebuild?  Have you already tried doing this?  (you probably have).
Just a suggestion...