Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Re: Is the Sansa e200 series microSDHC compatible?

rivisio, unless you install Rockbox.
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
The web site was wrong.  I talked to tech support and then corporate headquarters who assured me that they would correct the site.  They have done so.  The guy I talked to from corporate also said the following:

1) Although they consider use of the Rockbox firmware a close call ( "borderline" ) regarding voiding the warranty, they have made it a policy to NOT consider this a warranty violation.  He said that they can not offer support regarding Rockbox issues, but they will/would offer tech support if someone who installs Rockbox needs help reversing the process.

2) As we have been told, there are people working on the firmware for the E200 series to make it SDHC compatible, but similar to tech support, he could not provide a timetable....other than to say that "hopefully, it will be sooner rather than later".

Message Edited by ffahmy on 10-04-2007 08:04 PM

Message Edited by ffahmy on 10-04-2007 08:05 PM
Highlighted

The website was wrong, but the reply I got from support brings hope:

SanDisk Response: (10/05/2007 08:47)
Hello,

Thanks again for contacting SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to
make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your
product.

The maximum size the e200 can support is 2GB. There are plans for updating
the firmware to support SDHC soon
. I visited the link you sent me, and I saw
that it says it only supports up to 2GB, and no where on that page said 6GB
or 8GB. Did you send the wrong link?

If you should have further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to
reply to this e-mail or contact our Technical Support department toll free
at 866-SANDISK (866-726-3475). Our Technical Support department is open 7
days a week, 4:00 am to 10:00 pm Pacific Time. Have a great day and thank
you for choosing SanDisk.

Best regards,
Matt A.
SanDisk Technical Support

Note the part I have marked in bold italic. Looking forward to the next update!
Highlighted

re: There are plans for updating the firmware to support SDHC soon.

Unfortunately, this has been the line from tech support for months.  "Soon" is a relative term....hopefully, it means this year, but I wouldn't count on it.
Highlighted

Agreed.

But, It makes sense to SanDisk's  business to do it sooner rather than later.
The E200 is still current, and attractively priced for those not needing mp4 video and who like the replacement battery.
Adding SDHC support keeps it fresh, allows sandisk to sell high value SDHC cards to current users and makes
the userbase feel they are being supported, which is the best way of getting repeat business, rather than stopping support
on existing models and hoping users will update immediately to the latest model.

I for one only put repeat business to companies that give good support.
Highlighted

Amen to rpwalsh!  Yeah, regarding RockBox being text based...it's FREE...so I wouldn't expect all kinds of slick, spit and polish craziness.  It sure does work great though for a FREE personal media player manager!

To be honest though, I didn't buy the e200 player for fancy menus and graphics...I bought it to listen to music, watch videos and listen to radio!  So if I can easily fit ALL my stuff onto one expansion chip simply by giving up slick graphics...bye bye graphics!

You really can't beat the e200 hardware though...soooo tiny and powerful.  My kids can watch ENTIRE episodes of Ren n Stimpy now!  WOOO!  When and if SanDisk decides to update their software to run on e200s using MicroSDHC expansions - I'll go back to their software!  Slick is better...but not if the underlying hardware isn't properly supported.  I'm not holding my breath any more for that update though...I have some music to listen to.

Lovingly Yours,

A Sansa Fan
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Alright now, I have been watching this thread for a while now, and finally it is time for my 2 cents.

First, like any popular 3rd party program, they usually have people working on the project 24/7. If not 24/7 then at least working on it longer than usual, so things normally come out quicker on 3rd party programs then on proprietary devices. Plus they have tons more people working on it usually.

Now this is what I propose to you. You go make a firmware, that supports EVERYTHING that a customer wants, just you, by yourself. See how long it takes you.

If SanDisk says they will have one out, then I have faith in them that they will get one out. Just because RockBox got the firmware out, does not mean SanDisk can not either. Hell, Rockbox still has no USB support. Oh but wait... the SanDisk firmware does... Go figure....

Like I said before, Rockbox has so many people working on it, it's not even funny. So when SanDisk does get their firmware out, which I am sure they are working on, then everything will be fine, until someone bitches about something else they want.

So, if you want it so bad, go make it yourself. If not, then quit talking about it.
Highlighted

Who said anything about a firmware that supports EVERYTHING that a customer wants?  We just want their players to support their own cards as was actually claimed on their own web site until I had them correct it.  You don't see anything wrong with claiming to sell a card that works in your player, having people buy that card, and then telling them....um..um...well...it will work eventually.

re: I have faith in them that they will get one out.

I don't doubt they will get one out....the question is when??  Surely, it should have been before they advertised on their web site that the SDHC cards were compatible in E200 players.

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Where do they claim this?

And secondly, yeah, we want them to bring out the firmware that allows sdhc support, but seriously.... would you rather have a repeat of bugged out firmware just so you can have your sdhc support?

IMO, I would rather them wait and get it right the first time then release a bugged version.... So they will get it when they get it. Until then, quit complaining.
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Peter_Griffin, have you tried Rockbox?