Highlighted

Is the Sansa e200 series microSDHC compatible?

I see that SanDisk now offers 4gb microSDHC cards, but I don't see that the Sansa players are compatable.  Could someone from SanDisk confirm this please?  If it's not currently compatable, I hope a firmware update will change this in the near future.

Thanks!
Jason
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: Is the Sansa e200 series microSDHC compatible?

Support for the 4gb SDHC is comming for the Sansa Connect, a future firmware upgrade may bring it to the other Sansa players in the future.
Highlighted

I am also an owner of the e200 series.  It seems inconceivable to me that SanDisk could INVENT these chips and not have their OWN devices be compatible with them!  As a customer, it is my expectation that a firmware upgrade will be released ASAP...as I have also purchased TWO of the new MicroSDHC chips...seemingly for nothing now.
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Eh, I own 2 4GB microSDHC cards, and an e280. I have faith in SanDisk, that when or IF a firmware is ever available, then it will be released. I would rather them take their time, and do it right, then have to wait around have them release something extremely buggy. Its all about Patience is a virtue my friend.
Highlighted

I mean no disrespect to the hard working folks at SanDisk...but 3rd party software competitors that provide their software for FREE have already released the necessary software to allow the e200 to utilize the new SDHC chips:

So for you folks out there that have purchased the new SanDisk 4GB MicroSDHC chips...and are already looking forward to the 6GB and 8GB versions to soup up your 2, 4, 6, 8GB e200 and e200R Sansas...look no further.  The instructions are very easy to follow and should you wish to go back to the Sansa software for any reason - that too is a piece of cake.

I just purchased an e280 and plopped in a 4GB SDHC and I'm now able to upload my ENTIRE music collection and enjoy it without having to swap out 2GB chips.

Where there is demand...consumers will always find supply.  We shouldn't have to purchase an entirely new piece of hardware just to get updated software...a rather large company in Redmond learned that the hard way...don't be like them.  UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE!
Highlighted

I assume, by reviewing the material in the link you provided, that the Rockbox firmware changes/replaces the nice original GUI interface and replaces it with something more text based?  Is this correct?

SanDisk should be extremely embarrassed to find out that a third party has been able to provide the function that many of SanDisk's customer have been requesting, while SanDisk has not been able to provide the same level of functionality.  After all, we are only requesting that their MP3 players support the own SDHC media!

Personally, I won't consider any future SanDisk products (hardware or media) until they provide adequate support for their existing products.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Correct, rockbox is more textbased, but you can add themes to make it look a little nicer. However the real focus is on better organization and audio features. But yes I only switched because of sdhc combatibility.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

ffahmy, im not sure why you are giving sandisk such a hard time with their sansa. For one it is the only mp3 player with expandable memory!!!! The e200 series had been release before there was any mention of sdhc cards so its not supprising they are currently not supported if the technology was not available to consumers. The latest sansa, the view supports sdhc cards and we know eventually the e200 series will as well with a firmware update.

Highlighted

re: For one it is the only mp3 player with expandable memory!!!!

Incorrect!!  The new Creative Zen 4 and 8 (which are availabe right now, with 16 coming any day) support SD.

re: The e200 series had been release before there was any mention of sdhc cards so its not supprising they are currently not supported if the technology was not available to consumers.

Poor excuse, IMHO.  The firmware should have been made available at the time they started selling their SDHC cards.  I have another device which was released way before SDHC and it supports SDHC with the firmware that I recieved (back in June) on the device.  Obviously, they updated their firmware.....and it's a GPS device....not a device from a SDHC card maker!!

SanDisk, to this date, has not committed to releasing the desired firmware for older players.  They may or may not and if they do, who knows when.

I find it curious and execusable that a third party provides better support for Sansa hardware than SanDisk themselves.

I received this player as a gift, so I shouldn't complain too much.  I still plan on getting the Creative Zen 16, but I wanted to leave the E250 in my secondary vehicle. 

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Then there is the Cowon D2 with SDHC slot with great sound.