Highlighted

Inserted Micro SD card causes e260 to fail to connect to PC

[ Edited ]

Hi to All,

I have had a very frustrating week with my Sansa. I bought an e250 about 3 weeks ago and it has been working fine. Then, I started to run out of space and decided to pick up a new Kingston 2GB MicroSD card. This is where the trouble began.

I switched off the player, inserted the Micro SD the booted up the player. As expected, all I noticed was a brief “refresh database” across the display then the main menu showed. I went in to “Info" and confirmed that the card was there and recognized by the player.  I then connected the player to the PC and transferred all the music from the internal memory to the SD card. This would allow me keep more video files on the internal memory. Everything seemed normal.

After doing so I completed the safe disconnect from the PC and then turned on the player. This time (as expected) the “refresh database” displayed for approximately 30 seconds (in addition to the standard approx 15 second boot up period - total of about 45 seconds). The next time I turned it on, I saw the same “refresh database” and 45 second boot up period. After that all behaviors were normal. I thought that was odd that the process would repeat itself after having been done the initial time after loading the (approx 1.25GB of songs) into the player.

Then the real fun started. When I next connected the player, the PC would not recognize the player and behaved as if the USB end was being plugged into an AC adapter. It was charging, but that was it, and could be used to play any files, etc. This was the case for either MSC or MTP mode – it made no difference. I Repeated trying to connect several times with no success. I then shut it down and removed the Micro SD card, then connected to the PC. It connected normally. And also returned to the standard 15 second boot up time.

I contacted Sansa tech support, who said that neither behaviour was correct. The player should refresh its database only the first bootup after making changes. The only way to get access to the Micro SD card was to connect the player first, then insert the Card into it. Then windows would recognize the card.

With the assistance of tech support we re-formatted both the card and player several times. And also went to extent of doing a recovery with files they emailed me. Nothing worked. I also emailed Kingston tech support who recommended I return the card to the retailer and obtain a replacement. The new card did exactly the same thing.

I then called Sansa Tech support back and we agreed I should return the e250 to the retailer. The retailer did not have any more e250’s so I took an e260 and paid the difference (now I don’t even really need the card, but anyway..).

This new e260 has a scratch across its display caused by a machine, so it is going to be returned. But I decide to test it with the (now second and brand new) KingstonMicroSD card. Everything behaves exactly the same as with the e250.

I take back that e260 and get another one from the retailer – this time without a scratch on its display screen. It behaves exactly the same way again. So, now there are three different players and two (new) memory cards all producing consistent behavior errors.

I get back on the phone with Sansa, and of course I’m not happy. The biggest reason is that I can’t be the first person to have this problem – although everyone there swore they had never had this problem before.

So, now I have a Micro SD card that I really have no use for – I certainly can’t put it in the player (and am minus the $31 plus tax).

So, is this something that a firmware update can fix – or is it a hardware issue?

The constant refreshing of the database is (at 45 seconds to boot up) is a major irritant, but the inability to connect to a PC is a major operational failure of the device.

Anybody out there run into this problem? An even better – found a solution?

Thanks in advance to all.

Message Edited by All_Steamed1 on 08-05-2007 12:49 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: Inserted Micro SD card causes e260 to fail to connect to PC

Update your firmware and try using a rear USB port.  The issue may be as simple as insufficient power from your computer.

Also, "Refreshing Database" on every startup when a microSD is inserted is normal.
* Signature capacity excee...
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Yeah man, every time I load up my e280 with my 2gb microsd card, it refreshes the database, no matter the mode. Where as on MSC mode, it refreshes every time, but on MTP it does not refresh.

So yeah, I think the refreshing on the main screen with the chip in, is normal.
Highlighted

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

It's is interesting that you knew that the player will refresh it's database every time it is turned on, but no one at Sansa tech support did - and that includes the "Level 2 Technician" that was consulted. I spoke with no less than three different support people and all three assured me that repeated "refreshing" of the database was not normal behavior.

If they knew that, it would have saved about three days of attempts to solve the unsolvable. But that still doesn't address the issue of the failure to connect to the PC. It seems to be somewhat related to how much data in on the card. With a few files it doesn't seem have that affect, but with the 1.25GB of files it caused a failure each time. I will try your suggestion to use the back ports, but my front ports are doing a fine job of charging the player, so I doubt that will be the case. To give it a proper test I will have to move that much data back onto the card and then try from a rear port.

In any case, thank you very much. It’s nice to hear from someone who knows what they’re talking about (as opposed to Sansa’s tech support).

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Strange indeed. Hopefully you can find the answer to your problem my friend.
Highlighted

I had the same issue and what made it frustrating for me was the fact that I couldn't access my micro SD card to add more music.  Every time I connected my Sansa e280 (which I love) with the micro sd card installed (Kingston 2gb) it would only charge.  Once I un-installed the micro sd card then connect the cable to my computer it would then "connect" to the computer and I could then manipulate the music I had on the sansa.

Well I found a solution or at least this works for me.  I do want to make clear that everyone should do this at their own risk but again this works fine with no problems for me.

Set your USB mode to msc mode on the sansa.

Un-install you micro sd card.

Connect the sansa to your computer.  Your computer should recognize two removable discs (on my computer G: and HSmiley Happy.  The first letter should be your Sansa e280 and the other should be the micro sd port with no volume mounted.  If you click on the first drive letter (G: in my case) you can navigate through your folders and if you click on the other (H: in my case) I will tell you that's it not accessible or something like that.

If your computer doesn't recognize the two drives then I would stop here since the rest may not work.

Now install your micro sd card while connected and it should now be a mounted volume and it will now work as the other drive letter (HSmiley Happy.  You should be able to transfer files to the drive and navigate to it.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Steamed,
Think about your situation for a minute....
You've tried 2 different SD cards, and 3 different Sansa players.  What are the odds that all of that hardware had exactly the same problem?

Have you ever thought that the problem might be with your PC?  Have you tried re-booting your PC, or have you tried connecting the Sansa to a different PC?
Highlighted
SanDisk User

this wont solve your connectivity issues, but rockbox, a free substitute to sansas firmware has 0 loading time for MSD cards. They havent yet developed the USB intercface as of yet but its worth a look