How to make a playlist with music already on my e250v2?

Hey guys,

I've become really frustrated with my e250v2 recently, because its been such a pain trying to make a playlist. I have the latest OF, and want to make a couple of playlists with the music already on the player only. I don't have the music on my computer for space reasons (it is a shared comp), and would like to find a program that will be able to find the music on the player to make a playlist.

I've tried to use winamp in MTP mode, but as soon as it recognizes the player, it spontaneously quits. I've tried using easytag, but it won't recognize the player in mtp mode, and playlists made in msc mode either are empty or show the songs in an odd format (## - song name, i.e. 01 - I Like Music) and won't play the song/freezes for a short time when i try to play them. WMP11 can only use files in its library to make playlists and won't read the files on the player as part of the library. 

There are numerous solutions for v1 players, but relatively few for v2's. Can anyone help me out? 

SanDisk User

Re: How to make a playlist with music already on my e250v2?

Hi,

NO S/W REQ'D.  I've explained it in multiple posts.  It is about time that SANSA PROFESSIONALS say the same.  Instead of my typing the same old thing again and again ..., just search for my user name and view my last post where I share all I've leanred and the how to's for v2 owners.  Install the latest (.16a) firmware and the latest .24 (I think) Video Converter.  They both solve problems I had encountered (although not directly related with creating playlists on the player ... as you desire, too.

Good Luck,

Ira

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Have you tried using Media Monkey? I heard it works great with playlists.
SanDisk Guru

I believe there is a trick with Windows Explorer to generate playlists (as opposed to Windows Media Player)...search the forum for that.

For a simple media manager, saCaster might be what you're looking for- I hear they just added v2 support to their application, and they have a free version to try.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

SanDisk User

Why would you use ANY s/w to create playlists when it can not be any easier [for the v2] as I describe using Windows Explorer right mousing on the folder or group of files AFTER you drag them to a folder (name as you wish) onto the Sansa v2.  I can not for the life of me understand why you'd suggest anything else.  Enlighten me please?

Hi,

Well I use saCaster and it works great. Not olny can I create playlist it lets me drag and drop files from the Windows File Explorer and drag entries in an existing to change the play order.

If you are interested, it has a full Podcast catcher that also creates a playlist for each Podcast with entries for each episode downloaded.

The really neat thing is, I found a problem with their handling of Playlists on the E200v2 and emailed them. I got an answer in a few minutes and a fix in a couple of hours! Everytime I've emailed them I got an answer really fast even before I bought my copy (the fee version is ad supported).

Regards,

Fred

[ Edited ]

Hey iraisok,

That works, but I'm lazy.

I like the way saCaster let's me drop mp3's from the File Explorer and it creates olders on the Sansa for me based on artist and album from the ID3 tags.

And to edit or modify a playlist it is easy to drag entries around in the program.

If you don't want to purchase it (but I did) you'll have to see a few amazon.com ads when the program start up but not while the program is running.

And the support has been really stellar.

Later,

Fred

Message Edited by FredButterButt on 04-06-2008 09:02 AM
Message Edited by FredButterButt on 04-06-2008 09:03 AM

I would like to enlighten ira on his folder idea. It is a great Idea, but the drawback that I see is that if you want the same song on different playlists, you have to have the song duplicated in multple folders, (if i understand the method correctly???) 

The winamp method seems to work for me...I wonder why it does not for you. I open the music folder in the sansa, and open the songs I want with winamp, and save the playlist. That way I can have the same song on multiple play lists, with out having to have the song on the sansa twice. How full is your sansa? What version of winamp do you use?

Another possible method, if you have media player, is to keep the media player library empty, and each time you plug in your sansa, add the sansa music folder to media players library, and make your play lists from there. If you have winamp for playing music on your pc, then you probably dont need to have the songs that are on the hard drive in your media player library...Not to mention, media player 11 is quite annoying to scroll through thousands of songs...which leads me to another question. Is there a way in media player 11 to merely look at your library as a list, instead of the annoying pictures of CD's? I must be missing something there. I had to revert back to media player 9 because I could not figure out how to do this.  

bobb181818

SanDisk User

Bobb,

You are correct.  For certain my simple method has limitations.  I did realize that.  I'm covering for the hundreds of individuals who have not succeeded otherwise and the thing that bugs the heck out of me is the Sansa PROFESSIONALS have never stated the "simple" method.

Thanks for adding your comment.

Ira

PS: I don't care about mixing songs across folders into multiple playlists.  However, the concept would be very helpful if I was a DJ.  Tnx for sharing.

Hey guys,

thanks for the help. I've tried installing saCaster, but when the program starts up, it freezes. I try to click on the ads, but they don't respond. when i try to click on the button at the bottom of the window, it doesn't respond either. Please help as i'm about to blow up my computer.

thanks.