Highlighted

Getting a word ballon when I plug my e280 into my computer

Every time I plug my Sandisk E280 into my computer, I get a word balloon in the lower right hand corner of my screen saying “Found New Hardware” and “MTP device” along with a light popping sound every seven seconds or so.  What is happening when this goes on?  What should I do?  Should I do anything?  

I had the player plugged in for three hours last night and the above described situation is all that happened.  It never changed.  If I click anywhere on the word balloon, it disappears the reappears within three seconds.

I have not had a lot of experience with Plug-n-Play devices.  Is all this normal?

I have version 1 with 01.02.18A firmware. My operating system is Windows XP. 

Thanks!

Mary Ellen Byrne

mebyrne@twcny.rr.com

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Getting a word ballon when I plug my e280 into my computer

I leave mine in MSC mode so never deal with those issues- the computerjust thinks it's a USB or portable harddrive.

You can do that OR
You can try re-installing Windows Media Player- it contains all of the MTP drivers...
-Will
-One e260, one e260v2, an e250R, Three e250s. www.rockbox.org
Two Clips.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

To reinstall Windows Media Player, either go to Microsoft and get the latest one or to use the one that's already in your computer:

Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs/Add or Remove Windows Components....uncheck Windows Media Player, reboot your computer, go back to Add or Remove,  check Windows Media player and let it reinstall.
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
Highlighted

OK, I uninstalled Windows Media Player and installed ver. 11.  I am still getting the same word balloon in the lower right hand corner of the screen and the same popping sound when in MTP mode.

I tried to switch to MSC mode and transfered one of my albums and some recently downloaded songs.  When I went to play them on the Sansa, I got the evil brown box that said "Synchronize to continue your music subscription"  I don't know what this means.  I also transferred a playlist to my clip.  The songs transferred fine but the list, itself, didn't.  I now have a duplicate copy of the songs on the list but the list is not there in the "Playlists" file.

I am using Yahoo Music as my music source.  Would that have anything to do with it?

I have 256 MB of RAM and almost 1600 songs in my collection.  Would the problem be solved if I got more memory?

Could I possibly have a bad clip?  Should I exchange it?

I got my brother a Sansa e260 for Christmas and the same thing happens whenever I plug in his clip as well.

I have my clip since August of 2007 and it's basically always been the luck of the draw if it works when I plug it into my computer.  I really do not know what to do.  I've gotten to the point of going to church and lighting a prayer candle before I start any Sansa projects.  (That hasn't worked either, unless my petitions have been answered by my being led here.Smiley Happy)

Thanks very much for the help you've given me so far but neither suggestion has worked.  Any others?

Thanks!
Mary Ellen Byrne
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

The synchornize screen probably has to do with Yahoo music. Those tracks come with digital rights information that has to be synchronized with Windows Media Player. And since you can't do that, the songs won't play.

Are you connecting the Sansa directly to the computer--not through a hub? And have you tried connecting on all your computer's USB ports? They can vary.

The memory in your computer isn't relevant to the Sansa, though more memory would probably help speed up Web browsing and other functions.

You should call Sandisk at 1-866-SANDISK and see if they can troubleshoot this on the phone with you. The updated Windows Media Player should just recognize the unit--one word balloon, one time, and that's all.

One other thing you could try, if you have any kind of firewall or security software installed, is to stop protection and see if that allows a connection. But get offline before you do it, and don't forget to restart it before going back online. If you connect without the security program, then you're going to have to figure out how to get the security program to let through the connection--look in Settings, Options, Trusted, etc.
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers