Accepted Solution

Computer won't recognise my Sansa e260

I run Windows 7 Home Premium. My MP3 player is a Sandisk Sansa e260.

Normally, to charge the Sansa, I just plug it into a USB port on the computer. It is immediately recognised and charging begins.

Today while I was out walking the dog, the Sansa ran out of juice. So when I got home I plugged it into the computer in the usual way. The computer didn't seem to know that it existed. It didn't start charging, it didn't show up as a drive in Windows Explorer.

I restarted the computer with the Sansa plugged in. No improvement. I ran "Scan for hardware changes" on the USB entry in Device Manager. No change.

I tried the Sansa in my wife's Vista computer (which has also charged it from time to time). Same result - the computer didn't recognise the Sansa.

Any ideas, please?
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Computer won't recognise my Sansa e260

Try performing a reset before plugging it into your computer to charge. There may be just enough juice left for that. You can usually squeeze a couple drops more out of a dead battery (any type) by slightly warming it. Maybe put it in your pocket next to your body under a sweater for a while or take it to bed with you. Your body's heat should gently warm it.

Now that's warmed up so to speak, press and hold the power/menu button down while you count to 20. You can do this silently so people around you don't think you've flipped out. OK, now release the button and after a couple seconds, press it again to see if it will start up on it's own. If it does, put the life-support (Sansa) cable to it quick before it dies again.

Whahaaay!  Thanks Tapeworm - it worked!  Actually I did the reset while it was still hooke dup to the computer's USB port, and the Sansa sprang to life and started charging immediately.

It's probably a good thing that I didn't have to take it to bed to warm it up.  At my age I think I may have forgotten how to do that!

Thank you very much for your help. 

SanDisk Guru

Whoaaa there, pardner! :smileysurprised:

Glad to hear it worked, but that's TMI (too much information)! :smileyvery-happy:

Accepted SolutionComputer won't recognise my Sansa e260

I run Windows 7  Professional.   My MP3 player is a Sandisk Sansa e260.

Normally, to charge the Sansa, I just plug it into a USB port on the computer. It is immediately recognised and charging begins.

Today while I was out walking the dog, the Sansa ran out of juice. So when I got home I plugged it into the computer in the usual way. The computer didn't seem to know that it existed. It didn't start charging, it didn't show up as a drive in Windows Explorer.

I restarted the computer with the Sansa plugged in. No improvement. I ran "Scan for hardware changes" on the USB entry in Device Manager. No change.

SanDisk Guru

@rlamart wrote:

Do you know for sure the battery is dead? Did you try resetting it as suggested above?

SanDisk User

Re: Computer won't recognize my Sansa e260

Hey Tapeworm!

Thanks for that bit of advice!

I just wanted to add my experience.

Last nite I added a couple of audiobooks to my e260 v1 after running them through Mp3tag in my continuing efforts to descramble the order.

Then did a soft eject (Win7) and kept getting a "close all files" error message.

Looked around and couldn't find anything happening. The "write' to the Sansa was completed.

I pressed "continue" which forces an eject, disconnected the Sansa and the thing was completely dead!

No ring. No nothing. Plugged it back in and the Win7 box wouldn't recognize it.

I went through all the usual stuff, restarts, plugging and unplugging, new hardware scan, unplugging my hub and other non essentials like external drive.

Still nothing & finally ran across this thread.

The power button reset worked!

I thought I had somehow bricked it.

Just wanted to say Thanks!

Mustash