Highlighted
SanDisk User

Cannot transfer RAX files to e250

Had to format my e250, in process of getting music back onto player.  Have a lot of music that was bought & purchased thru Rhapsody.  This music is on an external hard drive (HD).

With any other of my music on the HD, I can simply move it to Windows Media Player (WMP).  All the Rhapsody music is labeled as a RAX file--I don't know what the difference is, really.  It will not transfer anywhere, I get "no" sign, a circle with a line thru it when I drag the file into WMP or anywhere else.

When I attempt to transfer the music directly from my Rhapsody account, it tells me that the songs need to be purchased.  I didn't obtain these songs by illegal means--I bought and paid for them.

How can I easily transfer these RAX files to my player?

(I've always just dragged into WMP--I'm don't know how else to do it)

I also should have most of these songs burned to CDs--which I had done directly from Rhapsody's Burn a CD option.  Would it be easier to simply rip those CDs into WMP & sync from there?  I imagine that will be quite time consuming but if it will work that's good enough for me.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Cannot transfer RAX files to e250

[ Edited ]

RAX files are Real Audio protected files--Rhapsody's own annoying format. 

Rhapsody works (or should) with the E250 as an alternative to WMP. The problem is that you took the RAX files out of Rhapsody's library and put them on the HD. So Rhapsody thinks you are trying to get them out of someone else's library.

You should see if you can contact Rhapsody customer service to reauthorize the songs as yours.

Here's the Rhapsody contact page.

Then transfer them via Rhapsody, so it will send over the hidden digital-rights information. 

You could also rip the CDs via Windows Media Player--and if you do, change the settings under Rip Music (right-click on it) to .mp3, which are unprotected files--but that will lower the sound quality, so leave it as a last resort.

I don't know if the prices are comparable, but in the future  you can get unprotected mp3 files, without all this nonsense, from Amazon or eMusic. 

Message Edited by c1u31355 on 09-20-2009 12:17 PM
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
Highlighted
SanDisk User

thanks--I'll check with Rhapsody's customer service & see what they can do for me.

I only use Rhapsody because of Coca-Cola points--free music credits with so many points.  I absolutely loved when Pepsi was doing it because I never once had any hassle with Amazon downloads

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@misty123 wrote:

I never once had any hassle with Amazon downloads

+1!  Smiley Happy

I never use anything else. Have you seen their Free Downloads?

-Will
-One e260, one e260v2, an e250R, Three e250s. www.rockbox.org
Two Clips.