Highlighted
SanDisk User

Can't get downloaded songs to Media Player or MP3 Player (RAX type file?)

I've been purchasing songs through Coke Rewards for Rhapsody music.  So far, no problems (and I haven't a bit of trouble using Pepsi points to purchase music through Amazon).  I can move the songs to Windows Media Player, copy to my Sansa e250, even burn a CD. 

I have a handful of songs that I cannot do anything with.

When I pass the mouse over the song within My Music, it says it's a RAX file.  Never heard of that.  I've copied the songs to an external hard drive, but that's as much as I can do.  I can copy the songs to desktop or other folders, but then I cannot get songs to Media Player or any where else so that I may burn a CD or copy to my MP3 player.

I attempted to send songs through the Sansa Media Converter, but it says it does not support the file type.  Ideally, all I want to do is burn a CD.  Even if that's all I can do, at least then I could rip it back to Media Player so I can transfer to MP3 player.

If it matters, I've had no problems with my other Rhapsody songs, copying to Media Player, burning CDs & transferring to MP3 player.  I'm using Windows XP Home if it makes any difference

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Can't get downloaded songs to Media Player or MP3 Player (RAX type file?)

RAX files are Real Audio files...all you need to play them directly is a Rhapsody Sansa.  The rax DRM system is device-based licensing rather than the goofball leaf license system and encryption used by Microsoft (Plays For Sure / WMDRM).

If I understand correctly, you received rax files rather than mp3, from the same source?

Does your Sansa prefer Coke or Pepsi?  Sounds like you got some New Coke there (RAX).  The rax format will play and transfer from the Rhapsody 4 client, but maybe being a subscriber is the issue.  Do you have the fine print anywhere?  If the files are supposed to be genuinely portable, they should be MP3.  If they're supposed to be a reward, they should be yours to keep, right?  In that case, they should be burnable.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Ha ha.  When buying songs thru coke points, you get a 99 cent credit to use at your descretion with Rhapsody music.  The songs are yours to keep, to burn, to throw out the window, whatever.  And up till now, it's done just fine.

Just now, I tried to burn a CD thru Rhapsody.  I selected the problem songs and clicked Burn CD.  The songs are listed as 'Purchased'  however, under Burn CD it will say either 'OK' or 'Purchase to Burn'.  Although I purchased the songs and they are listed as Purchased, it says 'Purchase to Burn'.

I guess I'll have to search for the phone number and give someone a piece of my mind!

Here's another thing: I just purchased 4 songs which say OK for burn.  Everything else I've ever purchased (about 20 songs or so) are listed as Purchased but also as Purchase to Burn.  I've already burned them! 

BTW, I prefer Pepsi as a drink AND as a rewards program.  They looked at Coke's website and made their own by correcting all the problems!

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Do you subscribe to Rhapsody (just confirming)?  Try updating the R 4 client to the newest build while you're at it, the 4.0.2.610 build has been updated...and the possible flurry of bug complaints hasn't happened...very good for Real Networks!

Perhaps, this buggy action may be solved.

I mention subscription status, as you have the option to try and chat directly with Turkmenistan or wherever their call center du jour is located.  Ask for Tier 2 support via e-mail, and let me know what you find, if you have a chance.

If you haven't figured it out, I have a major bone to pick with companies that outsource to the ends of the Earth when it comes to product support!  Regardless of your product, it isn't worth %^@#$ if you can't (or won't) support it properly.  SanDisk is doing pretty well in that regard.

Why they would zip you a RAX file is curious, especially in the light of it being an open promotion.  At least, as a compromise, it should be burnable.   Try the new build of R4 and see if it is.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

If you can play the file on your computer you can probably record it using mymp3mymp3 v2.0, a freeware program for windows.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Haven't had much time to fool with any of it all week (family member in hosptial)  I'll check into those things very soon.  I also agree about the outsourcing for support.  It drives me NUTS because there are many accents I cannot understand at all and it's usually pretty obvious the person you're speaking too is merely reading off a screen or 3 ring binder.

How about we pay a little extra for people with flat american accents that actually learn the inside & out of the product and put THEM on the other end of the phone.  I don't care what country they come from, long as I can understand the words coming out of their mouths.

And no subscription.  I had a 2week trial just so I could use the points, I cancelled because I think it's tupid to have to pay $15 a month PLUS 99 cents a song. 

What do you mean update the build?  Can I DL a newer version of rhapsody or something?  That what you mean?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Yes, he means download a new version from Rhapsody. 

But RAX files, as he also mentioned, are all locked up with digital rights garbage. They were probably only meant to play during the two-week trial. Indian givers.  

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
Highlighted
SanDisk User

I do believe some of these songs, I purchased after the 2 wk free trial.  Regardless, when you spend 99 cents on a song (whether a credit to your account or straight from your credit card) it should be yours.  Such as if I had spent $20 on a CD at the store, it would be mine to do whatever I want with it.

I'll have to check on it some more when things settle down around here  Thanks for advice, until next time  :-D

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

"When you spend 99 cents on a song (whether a credit to your account or straight from your credit card) it should be yours.  Such as if I had spent $20 on a CD at the store, it would be mine to do whatever I want with it."

I couldn't agree with you more. This is called the "first sale doctrine" and applies to real-world goods.  Recording companies (and software companies too) are determined to undermine it with technology like DRM and online activation. If you are buying music, make sure you are buying plain old mp3s. Anything that comes with a lot of fine print is going to try something sneaky sooner or later.  

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

The part that's difficult (in Misty's case) is that the Rhapsody trial subscription has expired, and the promotion yielded DRM files that will only play via Rhapsody.

The rax format is fine, as it is a "kinder, gentler" DRM without the Windows PFS "leaf license" that's embedded into the individual track.  It's still an unplayable file without a subscription though.

The solution, in retrospect, was to burn those tracks as MP3 while the subscription was active.  Of course, with Rhapsody, the files would have been playing just fine, and nobody would think anything wrong...until the music stopped.

I like Rhapsody, especially for the convenience, multiple devices per account, and the price.  I have three daughters, and the current price of downloads, multiplied by the fickle tastes of teens, equals an expensive proposition.  Rhapsody is currently about $15 per account, plus the download purchases are discounted ten per cent, at 89 cents.  Rhapsody also has bare bones MP3 files at 256Kbps (I have set download preference to this as well, as I love classical).

Of course, the only need to download (purchase) files is if you want to keep them indefinitely, or if the increased bitrate is critical for resolution purposes.  The subscription files are currently at 160Kbps wma.

So the burning question is why send RAX files when they're promoting the new MP3 downloads?  It's possible that you had the download preferences set to the default "let Rhapsody decide the format" setting, and Rhapsody was active during the file transfer.

We may be arguing minutiae at this point, as the "coffee is already spilled", and there are only a few songs in question.  But I have a suggestion.  If you only had Rhapsody for two weeks, try the 30 day free trial, as it's quite addictive once one gets used to the system.

Here's information on the 30 Day Free Trial Offer.

Misty123, also check your PM box, by clicking the (now yellow) envelope in the upper right corner; I have some details that may help!

Bob  Smiley Very Happy