Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Can't get SD cards to work on e250 player

I use a card reader because dragging and dropping to the card through the player doesn't work well for me -- causes the player to lock up and the transfer fails.  I bought an internal model card reader because it was less clutter on my desk and because it also gave me the front panel usb port I had previously lacked (and have yet to use).  Internal readers are more difficult to install than simply plugging the external reader into an available usb port, though.  Also, the external models should be a bit less expensive.  I do suggest that you get one that directly supports microSD cards without need of an SD adapter.  Also, make sure it supports the microSDHC cards.

Newegg has some external readers starting at $6.99 (+$5.88 s&h).  For $19.99 (+$5.88 s&h) they have a 4gb sdhc card with a better reader, one that supports additional memory card formats.  Link  The v2 player *should* support the 4gb card, but the v1 player only with rockbox.  Newegg has incredibly fast shipping and an excellent return policy with online RMA's available within the return period.

Once you get the card reader installed you can try out your cards with it.  I suspect all of your cards are just fine, but might possibly need formatting in FAT32.  If you can read the files on the cards through the reader, but the Sansa cannot read them, then you know the problem must be with the Sansa.  If neither Sansa can read any of the cards, then probably something has been done to the cards to make them unreadable, such as corrupting the data on them somehow.  With the card reader you can probably get them working again by reformatting them.  It's unlikely all the cards are defective.  It's also unlikely that both Sansas are defective and unable to read microSD cards.  The problem could be with your computer.  Perhaps installing the software that comes with the card reader will cure your computer's card reader woes.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Ok, I'll try that out.  I've got some errands to run after work so I'll stop and pick up one these card readers.  If I have time, I'll try it all out tonight when I get home and let you all know how it goes.  Well, that and I'm sure I'll have some questions about working the reader!!
Highlighted
SanDisk User

SUCCESS!!!!  SUCCESS!!!

Yes, I bought a card reader and reformated the cards to fat32.  Long story but unfortunately I was unable to save what was on the cards.  Oh well.

After formatting, I placed one song on card, plugged into new player to test it out and THERE IT WAS!!!  To test it further, previously the card wouldn't work on my old player or my husband's as it has for the last year.  I placed the card in husband's player and THERE IT WAS!!!!

OK, I've lot a TON of CDs to rip but at least it's working properly now.  It's been 2 weeks of blood sweat and tears (quite literally, sweat & tears and a LOT of unnecessary cursing) but I would really, just like to thank everyone who helped me.  From the bottom of my heart, really!  Thank you for your patience with me, your advice and for typing out things in a simple manner.

I really just can't thank you enough!   :-D

I was this close to giving up and simply selling the new player on eBay.  You guys are a life saver!

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Misty-

Time to do the cabbage patch!  (If you click that link, you'll fall over like my wife and I did!)

Great to hear of your success!  And even more happy that it's posted here.  It's encouraging when everyone can see whether suggestions have been successful.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

p.s.  Come to think of it, my wife's making corned beef and cabbage tonight.

Highlighted

Iv read all the entries in this forum and still can't get it. My card is recognized by my sansa, but when i go to my computer i can't find the card like the video says i should. An adapter came with the card, and let me tell you, i have no i dea what im even supposed to do with it! Is that what i need to use in order for my computer to find the card? if so, how do i connect the adapter to either my computer or my sansa?
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

No adaptor should be necessary unless you need to use the card in a camera or other device that uses a different size card. That's what the adaptors are for. Some laptops have a port for a different size card, so you can use them here if you have one of these. Otherwise, they'll serve no purpose for you.

Your issue in most likely that you have a v1 player. You have to set your player to MSC mode (SETTINGS > USB MODE) for your computer to 'see' the card. Obviously, this is also the only mode in which you can add any content to the card. If you've added music to the player's internal memory by 'syncing' with Windows Media Player for example, this will confuse things even more, because you can't see the files added in one mode while connected in the other.

Which is probably why most people here with v1 units end up using MSC mode exclusively. If you want to avoid confusion down the road, it's best to delete everthing put on in MTP mode, and re-transfer it by dragging & dropping in MSC, just like your card. Smiley Wink

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@neutron_bob wrote:

Misty-

Time to do the cabbage patch!  (If you click that link, you'll fall over like my wife and I did!)

Great to hear of your success!  And even more happy that it's posted here.  It's encouraging when everyone can see whether suggestions have been successful.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

p.s.  Come to think of it, my wife's making corned beef and cabbage tonight.

Umm, cabbage is not quite all that.

Seriously.  Smiley Very Happy  Smiley Wink

-Will
-One e260, one e260v2, an e250R, Three e250s. www.rockbox.org
Two Clips.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Shoot! I guess I had forgotten that one or maybe never clicked the link . . .

I was expecting something like this: