Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Can't Delete Audiobooks

I believe I have a Sansa Sandisk e200 series, version 01.02 12A. Hopefully this information will help. Whenever I use Windows Media Player to Sync an audio book to my device, I am unable to delete it when I am done. To delete, I open up the Windows Media Player, find the audio book file I no longer which to keep and hit delete. Then I safely remove my hardware. My player shuts down, reboots, goes through the updating player and everything. But when I go back into my player to see if the book was deleted...it is still there. Of course at this point, the file is no longer available on my Windows Media Player to go through the deletion again. I also will look for the file on my computer, which is normally under "My Music" and hit delete. But again, the file never deletes from my player. What am I doing wrong? I need to delete these audio books. They take up far too much space and I want to be able to upload more. Please help. Thanks.

Re: Can't Delete Audiobooks

[ Edited ]
Isn't anyone going to answer my question??? This is a problem for me, and I really need help. Not being able to delete my audiobooks is so frustrating. BTW...my player is a sandisk e280...There is no version number next to the model number. Please help me resolve this issue. Thanks.
Message Edited by chambersix on 02-03-2010 07:34 PM
SanDisk Guru

According to your firmware number, you have a v1 device.

If you 'synced' the songs on using WMP, you had to have done it in MTP mode. Make sure your player is set to this in Settings > USB Mode and connect to your computer. Navigate to the song file(s) you want to delete in a Windows Explorer window. Highlight the file and press the Shift and Delete keys at the same time. This will insure it's deleted and not merely moved to the Recycle bin.

Are the songs actually there or are the titles just showing up in your player's menus? It could be a database refresh error. Deleting the database forces the player to completely rebuild it upon start-up, so this might help. But try the deletion process described above first and see if it helps. If not, then we can tell you how to delete the database file. No need to go into this unless it's needed.

And btw, this isn't a "Live Chat" board. You have to be patient sometimes in waiting for an answer. You only waited 3 & a half hours before your follow-up post. It can sometimes take days before the right person comes along that can help with your specific problem.

There is already a wealth of information here, including answers the the questions you have posed. If you're looking for an immediate answer, the white Search box in the upper left can help you find that little bit of wheat in all this chaff.

:smileyhappy:

I'm not sure what you mean to locate the files on Windows Explorer Window...Isn't this the actual Internet? The files I have for this audio book are located under "My Documents" and then "My Music" even though they are not music files. What I am attempting to delete is going to the recycle bin, and after this deletion is finished, the files are still on my Sandisk in full. It is not just the titles, but the entire book.

GREAT!!! I did exactly what was suggested by locating the audiobook I want to delete and hitting the shift button in conjunction with the delete button and my player is now stuck...frozen. It turns on and off, but is stuck in the settings mode. It will not go to my music, picture, radio file, or any other for that matter....Only settings. Is there a reset button?

[ Edited ]
Seriously...I am truly attempting to resolve my e280 issues on my own by going into previously posted messages, and I am either finding that the postings are so old that the offered hyperlinks are no longer valid, or the answers being offered don't apply. This is getting so frustrating and I am starting to hate this player. Why in the world after deleting the file, which was only one audio book would all my other player components disappear? I'm not so sure my player is frozen in the settings mode, it is now simply missing all the other applications it originally had on it at the time of purchase. This is a little too weird.
Message Edited by chambersix on 02-04-2010 01:23 PM

I have no idea what I just did...but some how I managed to get my player to delete the files as commanded. There was be a glitch and this time it worked. For now this issue is resolved, until of course it starts all over again when deleted a different audio book.
SanDisk Guru

The v1 e200 machines, as you have, are missing the handy Delete function that the later v2 Sansas are equipped with.  The Fuze and Clip both share this function.  I would love it if the machines were given a Delete Album option, as it would come in handy.

Using Windows Explorer is by far the simplest method to delete files / folders from the Sansa.  If you are using either MSC or MTP mode, Windows Explorer will work just fine.  (Windows Explorer is also known by function, when you navigate to the Sansa via My Computer.  Microsoft never made a proper "Windows Explorer" icon or choice in the program tree.  This is most likely to avoid confusion with Internet Explorer, which is a "browser".

On the other side of this issue, I see that you have version 12 firmware installed on your v1.  This is the most basic firmware; you have no Equalizer available for your music.  If you like, you can install the latest firmware for your e200v1, simply follow the manual installation instructions in this thread, e200v1 Firmware Version 1.02.24.

Windows Media Payer can also manage the files on your device, if you click on the Sync tab, then go to the lower left of the screen, selecting your device.  Files can be deleted from this screen.

I think you'll agree, the basic Windows Explorer window is faster and simpler.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy