Re: Blue Ring of Death?

Dumb ? but would some one tell me what  linux is? is it a OS program like windows XP?

Thanks Bob....

SanDisk Guru

YES, it is an operating system, but NO, it's nothing like Windows!

Linux is most things Windows tries and fails to be.  for more info if you're interested go HERE.
SanDisk Guru

I wouldn't say it's nothing like Windows.  If you install one of the distributions with either KDE Desktop or Gnome, such as Kubuntu or Ubuntu, you get a look and feel very similar to the familiar Windows GUI.  This is not to say there are no differences; there are quite a few.

I used to think Linux was for the geeks who like to tinker and tweak their computers and Windows is for people who want to actually use their computers to get things done.  It brings to mind what a friend once told me about why he rode a Honda motorcycle instead of a Harley.  He said Harleys are great if you like to work on them, but if you like to ride get a Honda.  I'm neutral on the issue, never having owned either brand of motorcycle (or any other brand), but the part about Linux being for the tweakers and tinkerers is still true to some extent.  Nontheless, Linux has made leaps and bounds in recent years.  I now truly believe Linux is the future.  Microsoft will one day be forced to start giving away Windows in order to compete.  The writing is on the wall.  The ice is melting.  The snowball is rolling.  The boxes of Orden are in play.  At some point we reach a state of critical mass where there are enough software and hardware vendors that support Linux, and then Gates will be breached, the castle will be taken, and the empire will fall.  I'm not one of those Microsoft haters, by the way.  I'm just calling it like I see it.

SanDisk Guru

Here's some general information on Linux:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel

If you have a laptop, you can take this reading material to the john with you. It may take a while! Smiley Very Happy

Ok i have read a lot of this but i really don't understand some of what i read so i am asking is this Ubuntu 8.04 Linus? it come with some stickers that say Ubuntu Linux for human beings.Thanks for your help but one more time please.Thanks....
SanDisk Guru

Yes.  Ubuntu is a Linux distribution.  It is probably the most popular one at this time.

I did not read the entire thread, so please excuse me if this has been posted before.

I too had the blue ring of death...twice.

Both times, I fixed it by removing the battery for a couple minutes. 

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@Rickkins wrote:

I did not read the entire thread, so please excuse me if this has been posted before.

I too had the blue ring of death...twice.

Both times, I fixed it by removing the battery for a couple minutes. 

Next time it happens (if it happens) try pressing & holding the power button down for about 15 - 20 seconds. Then start it up normally. This usually does the same thing (resets the device) without having to deal with opening it up and possibly losing the itty-bitty screws. Smiley Wink

the linux version worck with other linux how knopix or other version its say, this version too have terminal and etc.

plase answer me fast i need this ... thanks in advanced themaster, the sansa is of my sister .... Smiley Sad