Re: Blue Ring of Death?

Oups! Same thing as yanacobrown, but I'm on Vista 64 bit...

[ Edited ]

Okay, I've been spending the past 3 days trying to unbrick my Sansa e280 and I'm starting to go crazy getting this thing to work again. Smiley Mad I've tried taking out the battery and when that didn't work, I tried pushing the little black square above it (with and without battery) and neither have worked thus far.

I'm following misha1's instructions and things are going okay until I get to the cmd part of the Driver section:

cd\
cd e200tool
e200tool recover BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom

My Windows XP couldn't find the file this way so I just typed in "recover BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom" without the "cd\" and the other stuff and it worked. This is what happened:

Press ENTER to begin recovery of the file on drive C:

Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.

Can someone clarify what I should do at this point?

Hello Guys!

I have the same problem as you got.  Or almost same.   Very strange things happens with this staff.  When I press menu button the blue ring comes up and black screen.  But after that I tried to get it to  consciousness)) I hit it up table a few times. And the screen comes up after that.  My computer started to recognize this device.  But no programs works.  It can not play music.  It says like busy!  What should I do ?  Is there any hope to relive this device or I should send it to the garbage? ))

Thanks

SanDisk Guru

The flash memory daughter board probably came lose. Unscrew the back, pull it out and push it back in.

I need some help guys im kind of at a loss here I have tried just about everything. I tried the black square behind the battery, Ive tried using linux and that doesnt work Im currently trying windows and it wont let me install the drivers. Im no computer noob but for some reason this just isnt working for me.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated thanks

SanDisk Guru

If you're just getting a blue ring, and the memory chip isn't lose, the only remaining option is to try e200tool in linux.

thanks.  It helped. I hope it will work for sometime)))

This is what I get when I try it in ubuntu 

oscar@ubuntu:~/e200tool$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 2.0 multicard reader
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0b70:0003 PortalPlayer, Inc.

Im asuming that its the PortalPlayer, Inc. and if I continue with the guide this is what i get

root@ubuntu:/home/oscar/e200tool# ./e200tool recover BL_SD_BOARDSUPPORTSD.ROM
bash: ./e200tool: No such file or directory

SanDisk Guru

"e200tool: No such file or directory" That message means you don't have e200tool in that folder.
Highlighted

A friend's e280 was exhibiting the Blue Ring of Death. Black screen. Would power on and off, but just the blue ring.

I installed Ubuntu. Tried everything I read about getting it into a mode where I could use etools  -- both on this site and on other sites -- but it flat out refused to show up in the usb list of devices, so etools wasn't going to do anything for me.

In the middle of a post elsewhere, I believe, I saw somebody mention that the memory chip might have come loose. So I disassembled the e280 and discovered that the memory chip HAD come off of the main board. I pushed the memory chip back onto the board (very easy to do), reassembled, and voila! It booted right up. All content was still on the device, no other work necessary.

So, if you are having blue ring and you cannot get it to list in the usb devices, open it up (two sets of four screw, and some disassembly. Pretty easy disassembly if you take it slowly. I'd post pics but I've already boxed it up to send back to my friend.