Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: Advice re: ripping into MP3 & VBR ?

well that info I copied from MM was in a nice chart, which was removed when I posted, so it's a bit hard to read...

But the "medium, efficient" next to VBR ~ 160 was in a column titled "bandwidth" .

The "high +" was in a column titled "quality"

If you have MM and go into help, and on index tab search for "ripping - introduction" , midway down the page is "MP3 Encoding Settings" , for the chart.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

I'm not using Rockbox because I have a E200R, which makes Rockbox a little harder to intall. I tried an early version, which had an ugly GUI and not many added features, and I didn't like having to switch back to the Sansa firmware to load music. But that was a long time ago and the elves in the Rockbox workshop have been making lots of improvements, so I might try it again.

That's strange about the two different bitrates. I wonder what readout you would get from Gspot

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Morning, c1u3!

Thanks for the G-Spot application, what a cool GUI, lots of information.  This will be useful for troubleshooting with the SMC.

I'd bet that the latest build of Rockbox will be an improvement.  There are come really cool GUIs out there, I like the one with LEDs in the display. 

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
SanDisk User

I tried Gspot... here's what I get:

Properties   mp3tag       Gspot

• track 1       6.97 MB     192           157            149
  • track 2       6.49 MB     224           157            155
  • track 3       8.53 MB     192           153            154

It did show VBR, joint stereo, and LAME 3.98

I think you explained that these are average rates.

Seems like Properties is the one that is probably off.

Oh, and I tried that Eusing freeware converter that I mentioned, and though it said CDDB database, it was accessing freedb (unless I was missing that there was a choice).

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

I thought CDDB was too good to be true. Their info page seems to think CDDB and freedb are the same thing. 
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
Highlighted
SanDisk User

@c1u31355 wrote:
I thought CDDB was too good to be true. Their info page seems to think CDDB and freedb are the same thing. 

Probably because back in the day they were.  Freedb is based on CDDBv1, which was freely licensed; CDDBv2 (Gracenote) is a proprietary license.