Highlighted
SanDisk User

4 GB microSD card from buy.com for $11 after rebate - thru today, aug 3rd

recently stumbled on this, from buy.com: 

4 GB microSD card for $11 after rebate 

rebate only good thru today, aug 3rd:

Dane-Elec 4GB microSDHC micro Secure Digital High Capacity CardDane-Elec 4GB microSDHC (microSDHC) Card
Dane-Elec 4GB microSDHC micro Secure Digital High Capacity Card After Rebate(s): $10.95  This product qualifies for Free Shipping. Click for details.FREE SHIPPING User Rating:User Rating: 3.6 out of 5 3.6

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: 4 GB microSD card from buy.com for $11 after rebate - thru today, aug 3rd

As I pointed out in your other thread:  It's OK if you (a) can deal with the rebate and (b) understand it's a MicroSDHC (*not* MicroSD) card.  The v2 players will accept MicroSDHC cards; v1 players, however, must be Rockboxed to accept them.

I wouldn't do too much posting of this either, since SanDisk also sells its own flash memory cards.  Though I got one of these (my testing will have to wait till I Rockbox my player), I'm sure SanDisk would rather sell you their own cards.  Smiley Wink

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Not too bad a deal, but it is a class 4, which means it will have a lower transfer rate (2/3 of) than class 6 cards.  Newegg has a class 6 Transcend 4gb card w/ SD adapter for $13.75, but $6.99 shipping brings it up to $20.74 after paying shipping costs.  On the plus side, newegg has uber fast shipping.

I've never heard of Dane-Elec, not that my never hearing of it matters too much.  I only bring that up because I've been burned by vaporware "rebates" in the past.  Take all rebate offers well salted, especially when the offer is from an unknown company.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

@TheMarkster wrote:

Newegg has a class 6 Transcend 4gb card w/ SD adapter for $13.75, but $6.99 shipping brings it up to $20.74 after paying shipping costs.  On the plus side, newegg has uber fast shipping.

And, if you go for "Egg Saver" shipping (USPS, $2.69 on this one), the equivalent of Buy.com's free shipping on the Dane-Elec card, it's $16.44 with shipping.  Of course, it's not as "uber fast" as Newegg's usual shipping (UPS, 3 days max--if the warehouse is close like mine, next-day UPS Ground), but fast enough; I ordered another card from Newegg on Monday and got it Saturday, same as from Buy.com.  (Possibly even faster, but my mailman holds most packages till Saturdays as I work during the day and my mailbox is rather small.)  Not to mention, of course, that the Dane-Elec rebate deal is now over--but Newegg's deal lives on.

@TheMarkster wrote:

I've never heard of Dane-Elec, not that my never hearing of it matters too much.  I only bring that up because I've been burned by vaporware "rebates" in the past.  Take all rebate offers well salted, especially when the offer is from an unknown company.

I have heard of Dane-Elec, though I didn't know till just the other day that it's a French company (though the cards are made in Asia like everyone else--mine was from Japan).  My first Dane-Elec MicroSD card, a 1GB from a local Target (complete with MiniSD, full-size SD, and USB adapters), was OK, so I thought I'd use this to try out Rockbox.  The other cards I have are all Kingstons; from the card markings, it seems both companies get their cards from the same manufacturer (Toshiba, perhaps--but definitely not SanDisk).  I haven't seen a real Transcend card, so I don't know who makes them.

Though I went ahead and took the plunge, I agree with you on rebates.  I got burned recently by an unheard-of cordless-phone maker (of no relevance to this board) who doesn't honor their rebates, even if you jump thru all the hoops.  Thankfully, (a) their phones were a good deal for their features even without the rebates--they might have made it if they'd just dropped the rebates; and (b) both came from reputable retailers (both part of chains--one brick-and-mortar, one online) who honored the rebates themselves after I complained to them.  It also helps to keep the pressure on; I had another company recently claim they didn't get my UPC code, but I quickly sent my copy with UPC to their resubmission department--they backed down a week later.