Highlighted

hooking up to car stereo

Hi. I'm wondering if there is a difference between using the cassette adapter or the cigarette lighter adapter. Is one better than the other? I wanted to use the lighter adapter, but I saw that it's $70. Is there something less expensive that still uses the lighter?

Thanks!
Highlighted

Re: hooking up to car stereo

I got a battery powered FM transmitter VR3[by VR sound labs] for around $10.00 (US walmart), can transmit songs through car or home FM stereo.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

a lighter adapter should be for power only.  You need a different hookup to actually get the audio to interface with the stereo.  This could be either by wireless FM transmitter (often powered by cigarette lighter hookup and uses "blank" FM frequencies to locally transmit the music to your stereo) or a direct cassette adapter (if your car still has a cassette player) which simply hooks the headphone jack of your player to a "fake" cassette tape to feed the audio in.  For this second method, you can simply run from your player's internal battery with no other power required.

Xar
Highlighted

do you need to change a setting on the sansa to get sound thru the car speakers?  I plug it in & get static... I am plugging into the dock port.  Any help would be appreciated.  I also tried plugging into a bose speaker & still no sound.  thanks
Highlighted
SanDisk User

For hooking this into your Car Stereo Line in is best.. Next would be a cassette adapter.. Then the FM transmitter..

If your hooking this using  the line in cable make sure it is a Stereo 3.5mm to 3.5mm mini plug. looks like the same end as your Ear-buds or headphones. on both ends. You should be able to get this cable at any local Walmart type store..
There are some that look similar but are for MONO Microphones and that might be what the guy has that is only hearing static..

Line cable is cheapest and best quality.. then the Cassette Adapter Most expensive would be the FM transmitter.
To use the Line in Cable your stereo would need and AUX input..
To use the Cassette Adapter you need a cassette player..
If you have neither of these then your stuck with using a FM transmitter which requires power.
So if your doing this you might want a FM transmitter MADE for the C200 Series
http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2168)-MSAN-0360-01-Maximo_Car_FM_Transmitter_and_Charger_SAN360.aspx
This will allow you to charge and play by plugging it into the 30-pin connector on the C200

A note on Cassette Adapters.. I have had best luck with the Sony brand Cassette adapters.. if the cassette adapter does not line up properly you may get bad audio or even only one channel(side) look for a switch type thing on the cassette part to see if you can adjust the pickups.. OR try the auto reverse button on your stereo to see if that fixes the problem.

There are no setting to change on the Sansa.. If you plugin headphones and you get sound then if you use a line in or any other way to connect to the headphone jack you should get sound from there IF the other end is hooked in properly..

If you are plugging into the 30 pin connector then that is a different animal you will have to depend on the manufacture of the cable making the proper connections to the Sansa audio. I have not seen a 30pin connector to 3.5mm or cassette type of adapters.. Which would be cool if they included a power/audio cable combo.. Only seen this on the FM transmiters.

Highlighted

Another question about cassette adapters...

i am using a new one made by Monster called iCarplay...  the only connection is made through the 3.5mm headphone jack... i used this adapter a few times and it worked fine.. but today my sansa clip shut down.. i reset it using the hold for 10 seconds method, but now im afraid to use the adapter...

can a cassette adapter short out my Sansa player?  or is it just a coincidence?