Highlighted

wheel is stuck

Highlighted

Re: wheel is stuck

Well you have to love hitting enter and submitting NOTHING!!!

OK -- here's the deal

my son was watching a video and splashed some soda (or something) on the player.  I didn't realize it until I went to use it last night.  I cannot turn the wheel to adjust the volume or scroll up/down now!  

I did mananged to get it to move a bit, but it's still really stiff and when I try to turn it I usually end up clicking the buttons instead of a smooth turn - sending me back/forth etc away from whatever I was trying to do.

Is there any hope for this or do I just keep fiddling with the wheel and hope it unsticks? 

(sorry I don't know what to call the black thing we turn - wheel seems to be the best word I can find right now)

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Robin

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Well there is nothing you can do, you can't return it either because it was misuse of the product. You could try to fix it your self, that would be the only solution right now.
Highlighted

That's what I'm wondering - if anyone has any ideas for cleaning it.  I've run my fingernail around it many times (that's what freed it up a little bit). 

Just hoping someone here has some idea(s) for me to try. 

(I wouldn't call it misuse of the product.  It was a drip/splash.  It doesn't matter if it was a 3 year old or a 30 year old.  The product was used as intended; to view a video.)

Highlighted

The liquid damage is what they'll call the misuse of product. Smiley Happy

All you can really do is open up your View (which destroys your warrantly and is nigh-impossible to reassemble) and, with the battery far far away, use rubbing alcohol to remove soda from all of the mechanical portions of the guts.

I don't recommend this if you can avoid it. 

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Well a nuclear way of making the wheel work again, is using a can of compressed air.
Highlighted

Spray a little Electrical Contact Cleaner on the wheel. Mine was really stuck . Seem to be working fine now.
Highlighted

I probably shouldn't say what I did...  

I figured it was pretty worthless as it was, so I popped it open, took the thing out (I have one of those micro screwdrives) and messed with it.  The part that was sticking does not come apart.  So I took a sheet of paper and ran it between the two layers.  That loosened it a little bit but not good enough.  Again, since I was in the "it's pretty worthless mode", I couldn't find any dry lubricant and didn't want to use liquid on it so I put a tiny bit of some cornstarch (ahem... baby powder) on the paper and did the same motion - running it between the two layers.  That freed it up.  I then proceeded to blow it (canned air) well - tapped it some too and then put it all back together.  It works!  I'm rather proud of myself, actually.  Although I now have a smudge and a little hair trapped between the protective screen and the actual display...  If I ever get in the mood, I will pop it open again and clean those off more carefully.  But, all in all, success. 

That was about 8 days ago and I've used it quite a bit since then, so I don't think it's going to stick again.  (fingers crossed!)

Highlighted

oh my.... I have a similar sounding problem to you, except mine is because I stupidly took the sansa out in the rain and it got very wet. Then later in the week the wheel got very stiff and rigid and wouldn't spin. So after reading the recommendations I just blowed on the wheel from an angle. That is I put my lips to the wheel at an angle and blew, and it seems to have fixed it haha!
Highlighted
SanDisk User

You can still return it, just don't mention it. Say the wheel is stuck and you can't free it.. my first case sucked cause it has a huge seam crack on the side and it looked like i opened it.. but I didn't and they didn't bother with it. Definitely don't open it completely though cause then your warranty is completely screwed. You can also try to return it for a different problem (like if you have that seam issue or maybe your battery sucks) and just don't mention the wheel. The manufacturing quality of the view sucks so bad they should take it back anyway.. but the customer service is great Smiley Happy