Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Re: wheel is stuck

He fixed it aleady.Smiley Happy
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Blowing at the edge of the wheel as user "gmatt" described worked for me! I was actually quite amazed at the simplicity of the solution haha. I was using my sansa fuze in the car and water (condensation) from my soda dripped on the edge of the wheel. I wiped it off immediately and thought nothing of it. When I went to use it again a few days later, it was nearly impossible to turn the wheel and got progressively worse as it warmed up. I just blew on it now and it is spinning like a champ! Thanks for the simple suggestion!

Highlighted

I too had a stuck click wheel on my daughter's view--she spilled something on it and used a damp cloth to wipe it off, within 24 hrs the click wheel was completely stuck.  She upgraded to an iPod touch, so she didn't much care.  Then my son asked if he could have it and he was willing to pay for the click wheel repair.  I thought I would check for ideas here first, and I since it was pretty much useless as it was, I decided to go for it and open it up. 

There seemed to be some sticky goo right under the black rubber disc of the wheel, so I tried the suggestion with a sheet of paper, slid it all around between the black rubber disc and the plastic disc under it until it turned freely.   Just for good measure, I used 2 drops of some electric contact cleaning solution on a q-tip and gently rubbed it around the edge of the click wheel, but it was really the paper that freed it up.

If anyone else tries this, please be aware that you could mess it up badly, and Sansa warranty will be void.  BUT . . . here are my suggestions:

1) open the case from the top (above the screen) first, then down the sides, and flip it open at the bottom edge. Mine pried open very easily.

2) There is an orange strip that connects the click wheel to the brains of the player.  Where this connects to the player, there is a little plastic strip/clasp that sort of snaps up to release the strip.  Then the front of the player (incuding the click wheel) will come completely apart from the back and the guts.

3) make sure you have a very tiny screwdriver (mine was magnetic, thank goodness).  Before you remove any screws from the metal plate on the back of the click wheel (mine had three), draw yourself a little sketch so you know where the screws go back in!  place your screws somewhere really safe, where they won't roll off the counter or get knocked onto the floor.

3)  Slide the edge of a piece of paper between the black rubber disc of the click wheel and the plastic disc under it. Don't try using any liquid unless the paper doesn't work--you only run the risk that the moisture will mess things up more. After loosening the wheel, you must reconnect the orange strip and snap the plastic strip/clasp back down to secure the strip in place.

Good luck and I hope this saves you some $$$ !

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Nice detailed tips there, pmbrad. Thank you for posting them.  Smiley Happy