Highlighted

my battery life is in the toilette

since I went to the new firmware my radio won't even play all day. Today I got 4 hours radio and 20 mins video and its gone.
How do you get the battery life back. Do you have to go back to the old firmware and how do you do that.
Also how do you stop the updater?
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: my battery life is in the toilette

View01.01.06.zip is the firmware that came with your more recent view, a 5,306,299 byte long file in zip form, it was available from a thread in the yellow above, but don't see that anymore.    view01.02.09a.zip is the latest, a 5,284,257 byte long upgrade.  Why is this important?  Lose a couple of bits on firmware and it really can mess things up, I generally download it at least three times in three different folders and to a file comparison check to make sure at least two of the three are identical.  Lots of glitches on the net, and actually better to download at 3:00AM in the morning after the hackers go to bed and before the normal people get up.

Should make sure your battery is fully charged before transferring firmware files, on flashram have one pin that has to be one volt or greater than the normal chip voltage, a tad less, that puts the chip in the uncertainly region so the entire firmware may not be properly installed.  This is not easy to do on a low current output USB port with a partially discharged battery.

Prefer to drag the new firmware in MSC mode while having acopy of the old one in my computer that was also file tested, MSC mode is enabled by holding the left nav switch down while moving the side power switch into the Hold position before connecting the View to your computer.  In Windows explorer will see your Sansa with a drive letter assigned by windows where you drag the five unzipped files into the root directory, the one next to that drive letter.  Unplug the View when the copy is done, and in about two seconds your View will be either upgraded, downgraded, or remain the same if you are reinstalling the firmware due to a high temperature leak off condition that can happen if you leave your View inside a hot car.

Question is, where do you download these firmware upgrades, when I saw how the Sansa upgrade was working, removed it from my computer, crazy to upgrade on the fly, have no idea what's happening and can also get a glitch on your power lines.  Then what do you do?  If Sansa sees you already have the latest upgrade, it will not reload it, so you are stuck with a faulty load.   Engineers know this stuff, least good ones do.
Highlighted

most of that didnt make a bit of sense to me.
I am not the only one having this issue with the battery life after a firmware upgrade.
Basically your answer didnt help me at all.
But thanks for posting
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Try charging your battery with a AC charger instead of using your USB port on your PC.
Highlighted

got it hooked up to that as we speak. I hope it does better. I like to at least be able to listen to my music at work all day.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Are you using a micro-SD card in the slot (as suggested by this thread)?

If so, take it out. Having a card in the slot is, in my experience, what kills the battery. Without the card I get ~25 hours, with it less than 10 hours (this is with firmware 006 - I understand that the new firmware gives much worse battery time anyway).

John
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Also make sure you are powering the device off completely not just putting it to "sleep". Hold the power switch 4 - 5 seconds after goodbye disappears to ensure that its completely off.
Having trouble with video transfer for your View? Try using the Any Video Converter (yes that's the name). It can be downloaded at www.any-video-converter.com (pick the free one) It's easy to use, just make it a .mp4
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Put in more simpler terms, suspecting you got a bad upgrade.  Suggesting you download the zip file from the download thread listed above in yellow following the "For AMERICAS - You can download the .zip file by clicking on this link" and manually installing it with a fully charged battery.
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

If u guys are looking for the .06 by any chance, its here:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=view&thread.id=851
Having trouble with video transfer for your View? Try using the Any Video Converter (yes that's the name). It can be downloaded at www.any-video-converter.com (pick the free one) It's easy to use, just make it a .mp4
Highlighted

Ever since I updated my Sansa View's firmware to 1.02.09a, I've had serious battery draining issues. Before this versions, I could sit down in class for 6 hours and record my teachers talking in front of class. Now I barely record a single 3 hour class. You have no idea how cool it is to record your classes and use your recordings as study guides. Now that is down the toilet!
I really hope folks at Sansa fix this critical Element. Consider this... the packaging on the Sansa states that you have about ~35hrs of playback. I never realized that recording put such a strain on battery life!Smiley Surprised