SanDisk User

itunes songs?

Lol for my third question in a row,

If you have many songs in itunes, what is the process like to get them to a sansa product, can you just drag them or do you run into problems with the file protection on them
Thanks

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: itunes songs?

And here's a third answer...

Quoted from:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&message.id=12161&query.id=95537#M12161

I first use Itunes to burn whatever songs I'm interested in onto a CD (I use a RW disk).  Out of spite it seems--since you've just wripped the DRM wrapper (that is, copy protection) off the song--Itunes writes each track to disk with no identifying information...that is, all tag information is LOST!!!!  Stupid.

Anyway, I then run a second media-player program (I routinely use MediaPlayer, but growing fonder of MediaMonkey) and use that to rip the songs I just burned to disk.  In a few minutes, I have MP3s of the songs that were originally M4Ps.  Itunes should burn considerably faster than realtime, and likewise the program I use to rip the songs into MP3 format should also only take a few minutes.  

The fun part--and I don't know a workaround for this--is now going through each track and adding back in the title/tag information.

I also imagine there is a program out there that will do the conversion directly (BonkEnc Audio Encoder comes close).  However, every free program I have (and that is probably 10 or so) will immediately say "OOOPS, can't convert that M4P since it's copy-protected."

-Matt

nmc
SanDisk User

Have you tried to use Audio Grabber to rip the cds and using its freedb feature to get rid of the "fun part"?
SanDisk Senior User

[ Edited ]

The problem...as least how it works for me...is that when itunes writes (burns) the song to disk, ALL IDENTIFYING information is removed from the tags.  No title, no artist, no album, no art...no nothing.  When a ripping program sees the CD, all it sees is track 1, track 2, etc.  So when I've tried db-based functions to fill in the missing info, there's nothing to get the process started. 

I suppose I could fill in a few items, and then let freedb fill in the rest, but since that usually ends up with a long list of alternative songs--and I get discouraged when I don't see the one I want!--I just fill in title and artist by hand and move to the next song!! Smiley Mad

Please tell me if I'm missing something or skipping a step...I'd love to automate the process.

-Matt

Message Edited by sansamatt on 12-14-2008 06:16 AM
SanDisk User

It's not free, but a program like "protected music converter" available at www.wma-mp3.com should do a great job of converting the m4p audio files from itunes to mp3 files.

Or so I would expect.

nmc
SanDisk User

@sansamatt wrote:

The problem...as least how it works for me...is that when itunes writes (burns) the song to disk, ALL IDENTIFYING information is removed from the tags.  No title, no artist, no album, no art...no nothing.

Hm, I dont know exactly how freedb works, but I could imagine that it uses crc as well as 'number of tracks' and 'track length';

of course the crc will not be correct, but the other two attribs will be, so there should be a good chance of idintifying all tracks with given artist/album along with #tracks & track length?

[later]

Just checked using Mp2Tag: there you can search by artist/album and get your files tagged :-)