feature requests for View (as of OS 1.03.02)

Howdy.  Having used the View bit now thought I would post some feature requests which seem pretty obvious but are currently missing from the View.  These are *not* in order of importance.

1. compressor / AGC

This unit needs either AGC (automatic gain control) or a compressor to help level match between tracks.

2. crossfade between tracks

3. time adjust for fast forward function

Right now it takes waaaaaaaay too long for the fast forward function to kick in and when it does, it uses far too small of increments.  Ideally this would be an adjustable option.  Right now it is almost quicker to listen to the song than to fast foward it.

4. better guessing of track names when importing music (based on directory structure if ID3 tags not available)

I listen to a lot of non-top 40 material which means that a lot of it ends up with missing ID3 tags (naming is usually based on the directory structure).  The View should default to using directory names (based on user configuration) to sort this out instead of just putting everything under "unknown".  Alternatively, let me browse through tracks file manager style.

5.  better character set support (blocks in file names sucks)

6. open source OS

Really, SanDisk is a hardware company.  Make it easier for others to improve your software.

7.  Publish documentation of your playlist format.

8.  Publish documentation of your database format (for easier transferring of files and metadata).

9.  More depth to browsing tree.

On a 16GB player the list of artists, songs and albums gets unwieldly and should support more levels of organization (alphabetical, album grouping, etc.).  Should be optional but regardless, still supported. 

Cheers

Re: feature requests for View (as of OS 1.03.02)

Supporting this opinion!

we all must group here our requests,its the only way to get things done.

adding requests:

1.orderable menus (to decide what's more important for me)

2.pictures "zoom" function.

3.main screen optional picture background.

4.the option to choose whether i want to present the files by ID3 or by folders.

5.for videos-subtitles support

A bugfix request:

With the latest OS, when the unit turns off the display it takes two clicks of the pause button to actually pause.  The first causes the baclight to come on (i.e. the View "wakes up") and the second actually pauses the player.  Track skipping does not seem to suffer this problem.  If you press pause while the backlight is still on this issue does not occur.

Cheers   

I'd like to be able to flip the screen, the device is far more easy to opperate with the wheel at the top and the screen at the bottom. The little blue icons for forward/back/pause etc don't matter so much as you can live with those. Smiley Wink

SanDisk User

@deathindustrial wrote:

3. time adjust for fast forward function

Right now it takes waaaaaaaay too long for the fast forward function to kick in and when it does, it uses far too small of increments.  Ideally this would be an adjustable option.  Right now it is almost quicker to listen to the song than to fast foward it.

I am in favour of this.

7.  Publish documentation of your playlist format.

Doesn't it used standard M3U playlist format?

SanDisk User

All I'm interested in are bug fixes.

1) Song title - We've all seen the problem when you're at the next song and the artist updates, but the track title does not.

2) Frozen screen - I finally went back to the 01.01.06 fw because the 3.02 seems to lockup longer

3) Battery life - it seems to last longer on the 1.06 vs the 3.02 

Highlighted
SanDisk User

@cougar694u wrote:

All I'm interested in are bug fixes.

1) Song title - We've all seen the problem when you're at the next song and the artist updates, but the track title does not.

2) Frozen screen - I finally went back to the 01.01.06 fw because the 3.02 seems to lockup longer

3) Battery life - it seems to last longer on the 1.06 vs the 3.02 

How sad is it that people are still using FW that practically originated with the device instead of utilizing the most up to date firmware?  Just goes to show that Sandisk is like any other manufacturer out three and that they create more problems than they "fix" with their updates.  Maybe an open source OS is the best way for you guys to go with this product as:

1.  When the battery goes out in this thing its a brick as you can't replace it.  So if I brick it early cause I feel that someone might have a better solution for

me it's not like I'm really missing out on anything.

2.  Your Firmware updates pretty much suck.  Obviously you guys can't come up with a way to "update" the player without losing battery life, or you just

dont care...  Maybe someone with a little less "education" could create a better firmware than you guys could ever DREEEEAAAAM of coming up with. 

W/e it's not like you guys are making any money off of firmware updates to this player so it must be an ego thing where it has to be SANDISK TO THE RESCUE!.  Well Mighty Mouse I'm still waiting for you to come "Save the day!"

SanDisk User

I'd like to be able to put vids into folders so that I can seperate the videos that are in 5 parts into their own folders instead of all vids piled in one place
SanDisk User

Please put these much needed abilities in the next firmware update: 

1. Faster, or accelerating, Fast forward, that can be used for all files.
  2. The ability to bookmark all audio files (or at least podcast files).  It's important that the bookmark contain both the file name and the position in the file.
  3. Skip function, to jump ahead in audio files 1, 2, 3, or 10 minutes at a time (user customizeable if possible, otherwise 2 minute increments is good), such that when I "click" the FF button, the player advances 1, 2, 5, 10 minutes.   This isn't just convenient, it's necessary, especially for longer files several hours in length as with recorded radio shows, podcasts, or audiobooks (not just those purchased from certain websites).

As previously mentioned, the Fast Forward needs to be MUCH faster.  I think the Fuze has an accelerating FF, why not the View?   The FF on my Samsung YP-T8z flys, it will scan through a 4 hour file in about 15 seconds. And the Zune fast forwards about 3 minutes per second the FF button is held down, which is nice (it "skips" ahead at 1 minute intervals while the FF button is held down, about 3 minutes per second).  This is necessary on long audio files, as with recorded radio shows or audiobooks, especially where there isn't a boomark feature.  Also on the Zune, if you "click" the FF button it jumps ahead 25% the length of the file with each click.  (But the Zune doesn't have drag n drop, like the View, which makes the Zune real inconvenient).  Why can't the Sansa View have these nice "useability" features?   It seems every device has to have at least one very disagreeable feature.  Let's put an end to this madness now, by installing some nice FF and skipping features on the Sansa View.    I don't know what mp3 makers are thinking with these s  l   o    w  FF speeds.   Isn't random access the whole point of the digital revolution?   Even cassette tapes have a faster FF, and that's analog! 

In fact, Zune seems to "get it right" with their fast forward and skip feature, as described above, suitable for the digital age in that it takes advantage of "random accessibility" of digital data.  But even Zune's model can be reduced to this, and which should be adapted by Sansa and all dap makers:  Each click of the FF button would advance 10% the length of the file, while holding it down makes it advance at about 1 minute per second that the FF button is depressed.  But since the existing convention to go to the next track is to "click" the FF button, this proposed behavior can be reserved for all files in folders besides the "Music" folder, whether that folder is for podcasts or audiobooks. 

[ Edited ]

What I would like to see is support for some common audio file formats. Most notably ogg vorbis and flac. Most of my

music collection is stored in ogg format. Now I have to convert to mp3 before I add the files on the device. This takes

a *lot* of time when I have to fill 18GB (16GB model + 2Gb microsd).

Also I not that most of the features requested are already availble in the Rockbox firmware (http://www.rockbox.org/). So I

would like the Sansa team to help the Rockbox team to get the firmware running on the view. This alternative

firmware worked better for me than the origional firmware on my old Sansa e260. This is an open source OS, so it also has

nice things such as a file manager, games (eg nes emulator, doom, diamonds, etc) and support for a lot of file formats.

Message Edited by unknown on 09-07-2008 12:50 AM