Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Why does SanDisk not support new battery replacement? A Fair and Balanced Discussion

14124all wrote:
Battery life/replacement means nothing in the View. With all of the firmware and operational problems, you will be throwing it against the wall way before the battery dies.

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: Why does SanDisk not support new battery replacement? A Fair and Balanced Discussion

LOL! That is sooo true! Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
SanDisk User

I REALLY HAVE TO AGREE HARDCORE!
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Back on topic - one big motivation is the additional design complexity necessary to make something repairable.  It's much easier to make a product for snap-together assembly than it is to put in all the screws and latches needed for assembly/disassembly.  I saw video from National Cash Register while I was taking a course in "design for manufacturing'.  The video showed how the company went from using hundreds of screws and manual assembly steps to do the final assembly to a handful of screws and manual steps by going to snap-together designs.  Disassembly can still be designed in to these types of designs but it may take special tools to get the assembly apart.

In the case of the view, it makes more sense to consider these devices 'not serviceable' because it's so cheap to manufacture.  It's not cost effective to put the infrastructure in place if it's cheaper to buy new than repair.  For example, consumer digital SLRs selling in the $400-$600 range are right on the line between repair costs and replacement costs.  I had a repair done on mine for about $350 at a time when consumer SLRs were selling for $700 so it wasn't a bad decision then. Now, I'd have to think hard about doing it that way again, especially with the rate of technology turnover.  Electronics are usually obsolete in 1-2 years.

Highlighted

personally I bought my e280 for the very reason that I could replace the battery.  If that had not been the case I would have probably bought an i-pod. 

I don't like binning things for the sake of it and am glad I can keep my e280 going for as long as it works without the battery being the thing that goes first.  Have had it 18 months now and it's still going strong, and it gets used EVERY day and goes everywhere with me.

Sorry, seems like a waste of money to me.

Highlighted

Does having a removeable battery do any harm? So the player might have to slightly thicker - why is that a problem? Are mp3 players so large and heavy that shaving off a couple of millimetres is so important? If there were a version of the Fuze that was twice as thick with a removeable battery, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

tempusfuzit wrote:

Does having a removeable battery do any harm? So the player might have to slightly thicker - why is that a problem? Are mp3 players so large and heavy that shaving off a couple of millimetres is so important? If there were a version of the Fuze that was twice as thick with a removeable battery, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

It's not a case of design so much as it is of cost. To reach the target selling price that SanDisk wants to reach and still maintain a level of profit, they've gone the way that so many other eletcronic devices have in their newer players.

Fewer parts + lower labor and/or manufacturing/assembly costs = lower, value priced device.

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Life of a lithium-ion battery depends upon the number of complete discharges the battery experiences, the more, the shorter the life.  Already had to replace cell phone batteries in less than a year, got a docking station for my wife's View, instruct her to pop it in each night to increase the life of her battery.  She is always letting her cell phone battery go dead that greatly decreases its life.

Posting a replacement battery in a Chinese site is useless unless you are planning on purchasing a 100K of them.  If her battery goes dead, will cross that bridge when I come to it.  Was a detriment to me in buying the View for her, she wanted 16GB and was the only way to get it.  Prices of these things have come down drastically in the last couple of years, may just buy her a new one.  Would also be nice if the internal memory was a micro SD chip, so that could be reused as well.  Darn things cost more than the player and would save having to reload your MP3 files.