SanDisk User

What happened to firmware 01.02.09a

Wasn't there a link to firmware 01.02.09a last night?  I wanted to look and see if anybody else posted with there experiences with the new firmware.  I installed it and it seems my battery life went into the toilet.  I'm wondering if it was removed (because of the battery problem).  Does anybody else have an update?
SanDisk Fanatic

Re: What happened to firmware 01.02.09a

It was taken down for maintenence, should be back up shortly. Thanks for your understanding.
----------------------------------------------------
Best Regards,
Sansa Mod. Team
SanDisk User

do I need to reload the firmware when it is back up.  My battery life really stinks since I loaded it last night.  I used to get 15-20 hours per charge.  I fully charged it last night and the battery indicator is already red after only 6 hours playing audio with the screen barely on.  In fact the battery it just died as I was typing this message.  Can I re-load the 01.01.06a firmware?
SanDisk Guru

you can reload the previous firmware if you still have it, yes.
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

I wonder if that's why it was pulled...  I noticed the same thing, and I have always had good battery life--even to the point of questioning the comments/complaints on here.  Jinxed myself... Smiley Wink

Highlighted

Not sure about the battery life, but after updating to that firmware, many of my videos were suddenly "unsupported format". Dropping back down to 01.06a had them working again.

Also, I felt this version was a little more prone to lock-up, although it was only one day's use.
SanDisk Senior User

Oh boy, and upgrade, now my View is screwed up, will I ever learn if a device is working okay, just to leave it alone?  Maybe the curse of flashram, easy to change the firmware as opposed to PROM, where everything had to be tested and done right the first time.

First obstacle is what in the heck is MSC and MTP, MSC stands for Media Storage Class mode and MTP for Media Transport Protocol mode that certainly doesn't clear things up.

In one mode in Windows explorer you see the contents of all the music you have added, no drive letter, and kind of sits way at the bottom, in this mode you cannot update the firmware.  In the other mode, haven't gotten that straight yet, you see the contents of the Music, Photos, Videos that came preloaded that you will not see in the first mode, and this mode has a Windows assigned drive letter, it is only in that mode you can update the firmware by drag and drop.

To get into the drive letter mode, you have to disconnect the View from your computer, turn the View off, hold down the left navigational side of the ring, turn it on, then slide the power switch over to the Hold position.  To verify this, plug it back in with the supplied USB cable, open Windows Explorer and you will find the View with a drive letter in front of it.  Found this out by doing a lot of digging, then you can drag the upgrades into the very top or root directory.  Click on the remove devices icon to safely remove the View, turn it off and back on again, watch the screen and in seconds the upgrade occurs.

In my long history in the engineering field, found out very early in my career, when you make a mistake, admit it, and get to business of correcting it.  Would be nice if Mr. SmileFace would post a corrective means to this latest upgrade.  Now like the rest of you stuck with a poorly working brand new View.

And the instructions, since this is the View site, should be explicit toward the View how to precisely set it up for an upgrade.

We can all forgive mistakes when admitted with a solution to correct it, now I am very teed off.
SanDisk Senior User

Also like an idiot, I did not write down the version of the firmware that was working fine, where can I download a working version so I can resume use of my View?  Or do I have to spend hours searching for it?
SanDisk User

The second post on the first page "Sansa View Latest Firmware 01.01.06a Download" I re-flashed back to 01.01.06a last night and seemed to work.
SanDisk Fanatic

NickD wrote:
Oh boy, and upgrade, now my View is screwed up, will I ever learn if a device is working okay, just to leave it alone?  Maybe the curse of flashram, easy to change the firmware as opposed to PROM, where everything had to be tested and done right the first time.

First obstacle is what in the heck is MSC and MTP, MSC stands for Media Storage Class mode and MTP for Media Transport Protocol mode that certainly doesn't clear things up.

In one mode in Windows explorer you see the contents of all the music you have added, no drive letter, and kind of sits way at the bottom, in this mode you cannot update the firmware.  In the other mode, haven't gotten that straight yet, you see the contents of the Music, Photos, Videos that came preloaded that you will not see in the first mode, and this mode has a Windows assigned drive letter, it is only in that mode you can update the firmware by drag and drop.

To get into the drive letter mode, you have to disconnect the View from your computer, turn the View off, hold down the left navigational side of the ring, turn it on, then slide the power switch over to the Hold position.  To verify this, plug it back in with the supplied USB cable, open Windows Explorer and you will find the View with a drive letter in front of it.  Found this out by doing a lot of digging, then you can drag the upgrades into the very top or root directory.  Click on the remove devices icon to safely remove the View, turn it off and back on again, watch the screen and in seconds the upgrade occurs.

In my long history in the engineering field, found out very early in my career, when you make a mistake, admit it, and get to business of correcting it.  Would be nice if Mr. SmileFace would post a corrective means to this latest upgrade.  Now like the rest of you stuck with a poorly working brand new View.

And the instructions, since this is the View site, should be explicit toward the View how to precisely set it up for an upgrade.

We can all forgive mistakes when admitted with a solution to correct it, now I am very teed off.

There is a corrective means, reload the firmware to the previous version. The previous version and sticky was put back up as soon as the other was taken down.
----------------------------------------------------
Best Regards,
Sansa Mod. Team