Highlighted

Warning: Force format does more then you think

The other day, I did a force format because of the "Database Refresh" issue with a video.

Force format is:

1) Make sure device is off

2) Put View in "Hold" position

3) Press and hold "Play/Pause"

4) Connect to the computer

If you do, this will remove the firmware, too.  Now, the View will be stuck into Manufacturing mode which means you need to RMA it since the e200tool will not work.  I had a small issue getting it RMA'ed, but I finally did.

Please fix this or remove it.  I see more people talking about this force format, and it does more issues, then it is worth. 

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Re: Warning: Force format does more then you think

force format doesn't erase the firmware.  i did force format my view a few times before. 

btw. i also have my view only on manufacturing mode only.  my brother formatted it to NTFS Smiley Indifferent

Highlighted

Well, when I did it, my View said "Erasing. Please Wait.." and after that it is in manufacturing mode.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Yeah, I've formatted a couple of times and had no problem.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

i just tested this on my view. i tested it 3 times with each of the following firmware. 1.00.00, 1.01.06, and 1.02.09 all it did is erase all my files. now begins the fun task of reloading all my music and vids Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Then why did it do it on my View?  My View was basically empty but for that video that caused this.  Do not know if that makes any difference.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

pressing and holding the center button while the device is locked and connecting it to the computer causes the device to only light the blue ring. to get out of the frozen with just a blue ring all i have to do is reset the player by holding the power button untill it turns off. then it boots up fine.
Highlighted

Well, drlucky, I know that, but that is not the issue tho.  Plus mine worked till this video caused me to do this force format.  After it said "Erasing. Please Wait" it rebooted and then nothing on the screen and blue wheel is on.
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Why did you do that? If a video froze during playback all you had to do is force restart your device by holding the power button up for about 10 seconds and turn back on.
Highlighted

1nonly, I tried that, but that database refresh was locking up, and was not letting me connect without the database refresh.