Highlighted

Using Media Monkey to Get Started

Hi,

This may have been asked before, but do others have experience using Mediamonkey getting started with the View?  Is it a good option?

Also, my wife has an ipod and we have purchased music that I would like to load on the View.  However, I cannot get Windows Mediaplayer to recognize the files on Itunes.  Is this due to file protections put on itunes downloads?

I apologize if these questions have been asked before and appreciate help and advice that anyone can give on these topics. 

Highlighted

Re: Using Media Monkey to Get Started

I can't comment on Media Monkey, but I spent a few minutes with it and it didn't do what I want. Windows MediaPlayer works about as well for me.

As for iTunes DRM protected music, I think the music is only able to play in iTunes or on an iPod. That's why I refuse to buy their music and is why I we bought two Sansa Views instead.  We buy all of our music as MP3's from Amazon or Walmart. Some music isn't available as MP3s, but more and more is available now. I refuse to buy DRM protected music since I can't play it in whatever player or software I choose. iTunes is now offering some songs in some unprotected format now, but iTunes won't sync with anything except iPods, so forget it. 

You will probably have to convert your music to MP3 or some other unprotected format. Here's an article that tells how:
http://askbobrankin.com/convert_itunes_to_mp3_format.html

I've never done it because I never bought protected music. My Amazon and Walmart MP3s are imported into iTunes, WMP and Media Monkey, and I can play them in virtually ANY brand or model of music player. Good luck.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
NewOrleansJim was right about the iTunes DRM- unless you bought music from iTunes Plus, you're locked into the iTunes ecosystem. There is a new application out that's allegedly capable of syncing iTunes tracks to non-Apple players. You can read the Ars Technica article about it here. I have no clue as to whether or not it works. I also am not recommending the circumention of DRM. It is your responsibility to follow the copyright laws in your country. <- So ends my legal disclaimer.

With regards to MediaMonkey, it can easily sync to the View. I have MediaMonkey Gold, which allows for auto-sync, but the free version will let you manually sync to the View. You just need to create a playlist with the music you want to sync, right click on the Playlist name, go to Send to -> Folder (Copy) -> and find the music folder on your View. It took me about 1/2 and hour to sync ~1550 songs to my 8GB View.

I hope that clears things up.

Message Edited by yntechguy on 02-19-2008 06:14 PM
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Media Monkey is the **bleep**.

I love it.

Well i hate the new WMP so i dont have it ( i use wmp classic since it can do everything I need it to do and play DVDs without needing to pay $15 for the decoder).

So i would recomend everyone to atleast give it a try.

Message Edited by faffaz on 02-20-2008 12:05 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

[ Edited ]
faffaz,
Question, if you don't mind- You said you use wmp classic (I use the one that came with K-Lite Mega Codec Pack & I love it!).
Does Media Monkey cause you any problems at all with wmp classic?
I have not been able to transfer an actual playlist to my View without WMP11, which I cannot have on my computer because it affects my WMP classic & also my beloved WinAmp. (I've been having to transfer my music to my husband's machine & put on the playlist to my View from his WMP11- a real hassle.) I have WMP10 still in my machine, but it won't transfer the playlist- just the songs loose.
Media Monkey sounds like it might be the key. (or at least I'm hoping!)
You wouldn't happen to use WinAmp also, or know that Media Monkey doesn't affect WinAmp, do you?
I'd really like to find a way to load playlists on my View (from my own computer) without gumming up my husband's machine.
Thanks for any advice you can give. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by shadow98fl on 02-20-2008 12:48 PM
Highlighted

Thanks to all for the information.  I am going to get started today. 

Regards
Highlighted
SanDisk User

For iTunes albums (I bought one a while back just to see how it would work), I burned a CD from iTunes, then ripped the CD to WMP.

After doing these same sorts of things with microsoft music (before zune) and now iTunes, I pretty much will want to just get a real CD of new music in the future.  I was all excited about downloading (legally, paying for it) at first--especially if I only wanted a couple songs off an album.  But the hassles of DRM turned me off of it.  Too bad for the music industry, because there are a bunch of albums I would only want one or two songs from (and would pay for) but I won't pay for the whole CD. So I won't download and I won't buy the CD = less money out of my pocket to the industry.
Highlighted

MediaMonkey is very easy to use.  The only issue that I am having with MediaMonkey is that the tracks begin to play almost immediately after the previous track has finnished- or even a little bit before.  Any suggestions to resolve this?

Again, thanks for any help.
Highlighted

I have been using MediaMonkey now for the last month and just upgraded to Gold.  It is a great program.  I answered my own question about one track begining play before the other is finnished...  Just go into the "Play" toolbar and deselect "Crossfade."
Highlighted

I too use Media Monkey and it has worked great for my music files.  I simply create my playlist in Media Monkey, plug in the View,

then right click on the playlist title in the left column and highlight "Send To" and Sansa View Syncronize appears, just click on it

and the songs quickly download to the View.

For ITunes DRM files (since I had about three hundred I did not want to loose), I purchased a TuneBite download from the web

that removes the DRM and converted them to MP3 and sent them to Media Monkey for download to View.  Albumn cover etc. went

right on over to Media Monkey without losing anything.  If you have a lot of DRM music you do not want to lose out on, TuneBite

is the way to go for converting it to mp3 files.