Highlighted

Support the Rockbox project

[ Edited ]

-- Open letter to sansa --

I was a happy Sansa e280 user before, thanks to the RockBox project. I'd like Sansa to assist the developers so I can be a happy View user too. I've recently lost my e280 and I was looking for a replacement. I'll sadly have to replace it with the same model on the second hand market.

I would kindly ask that Sansa re-evaluate its stance on RockBox and assist the project with the port to your newer players. This can be done for a fairly low cost, and you can easily mandate all of your providers open source their drivers -- or fund open source alternatives.

Your firmware is currently lacking quite a bit of functionality that RockBox provides, many of us have grown acustom to it and want to continue using it. The View by default can't fast-forward with acceleration -- how do you manage to use a 3hr track with only a linear 4:1 fastfoward? It isn't about getting that functionality into the View's default firmware, allthought that will surely benefit people who have already purchased the product. The goal should be to encourage people to use your hardware to tackle market niches that are currently being left empty. Without a modern flash MP3 player, Rockbox has left plenty of room for you to capitalize this arena.

I think the View is a great piece of hardware, please provide the assistance needed so we can enjoy the benefits of rockbox and open source development on it. I don't think this is too much to ask, the open source community doesn't require marketing, just put out a viable port and our purchases will come -- you'll have mine.

Evan Carroll

Message Edited by EvanCarroll on 02-09-2009 09:57 PM
Message Edited by EvanCarroll on 02-09-2009 09:59 PM
SanDisk Professor

Re: Support the Rockbox project

I don't think anyone from Sandisk reads the View forums, so please try to forward this to the administrators etc... 

Thanks a lot.

agrees with yelped.

but we do need some form of support as this is ridiculous. 

definetely!
SanDisk Senior User

I love rockbox. Its features and everything. What I don't like is how boring the interface is. Its simple, but its like the Ipods interface, Boring. Everything else is awesome though.
SanDisk Professor

Once Rockbox works it is a lot easier to design a new interface. Also did anyone send sansafix a PM to take me off his ignore list yet? I think I'm there for some reason(a mistake, I hope).

Yeah, please forward this message to any guy in sandisk !!

i can't bear anymore the freezes during shuffle, the linear fforward, and the ton of unsolved bugs.

Since sandisk don't give a **bleep** of this player, and decided not to publish a single firmware update anymore, theyshould... no, they MUSThelp the rockbox team do their job !!!

SanDisk Senior User

I'm with rockbox for the view. Not that I have problems it's just that I heard it has games and I really miss my Nintendo DS which I sacraficed for my view.
8 GB Sansa View
Hp 2133 OS Vista
Optimus Prime