Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: Sansa View headphone jack repair

Not sure if I will fool around with my wife's View if it dies, probably will just buy another, prices are coming way down from what they were a coupld of years ago.

Mouser lists some 57 different 3.5 mm phone jacks, the trick is to find the correct footprint by looking at all the datasheets for each one at

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=3.5+mm+stereo+phone+jack+PCB

Like the old days better when everything was made in the USA and could get parts directly from the manufacturer, can you even buy replaceable parts from Sansa?

I did look up some specifications on the battery and found this.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34095

Model 404343

Volts 3.7 V

mAH 760 Typical

mAH 720 Minimum

4 mm Thick

43 mm Width

43  mm Height

15  grams Weight 

Now to find a replaceable battery.

After my daughter played with my wife's View, she purchased a Samsung with a replaceable battery and a touch screen, really nice.  I wasn't interested in getting an MP3 player, but on Black Friday, my cell phone company offered one for free.  Could have gotten a basic phone that I like, but the top of the line LG Banter was the same price, free, it came with a MP3 player, I put in a 8 GB micro SD SanDisk card.  Had to buy a USB cable for a buck from ebay, downloaded a bunch of songs.  While my wife was making her playlist with her View, all I had to do was to push a button and the phone did that for me from what I downloaded.   Since she also has the Banter, I did did order a 16GB micro SD for her, she is thinking just about using that for her player.  One less thing to carry with her.  And easier to program.

Highlighted

Many thanks to the OP!!

I went the same route w/ the headphone jack extension, But I did not remove the faulty jack.

1) took apart the player, using a small screwdriver to pop up the connector bar holding the ribbon cable in place.

2) Cut the jack extension off at about 4" & passed the wire up & through the original headphone jack opening

3) then stripped the wires and soldered them onto the appropriate tabs

4) put the player back together & set the jack wire securely into the original jack hole w/ a drop of super glue

5) reassembled

6) good as new, I now only have about 3" of cable leading to the new jack, same color as my headphone cable, not an eyesore

Highlighted

Custom made jack, poor quality, took mine of off the board, no cleaning is fiddiling would fix it.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

I just bought a refurbished 8 for 20 USDs.  I have had no problems with a 16 I bought my wife.  I still bought 2 yr warentees for both.  Since the warentee is calculated from the sale price they are very cheap.  If it lasts 2 yrs it will have out lasted most ipods going for ten times that.
Highlighted

Hi, help needed!Smiley Sad ! Could someone who has already soldered own player send link  to picture/drawing how to connect rightway new audiojack? Original audiojack has 6 connector, but I  new has only 3.

I'm sure does this audiojack change even help to fix my player because all  song sounds "funny" now, but I will try fix my player before buying new Smiley Happy 

Thanks

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

I'm having this problem as well, but don't have the capability to disassemble, soder, and assemble my View.  Any chance I can send it to one of you to fix?!  I'll pay postage and a fix-it fee if you want!  Many thanks!!

Highlighted

i tried what you said but once i took it apart something went wrong and now the button to turn it on is loose and it won't turn on. Now the mp3 is completely garbage. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Highlighted

It is now April 2012 and the same problems are still there.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@davidlu wrote:

It is now April 2012 and the same problems are still there.

And your point is?

The View is a long-discontinued product and out of any warranty. If you have a headphone jack problem you have 2 choices; attempt to fix it yourself (in which you may or may not be sucessful) or buy a new player.