Highlighted

Sansa View doesn't turn on without 10-sec reset

[ Edited ]

OK, so I've had my View for 2 months, and today, the power goes out for a second or two, while my View is charging on the computer.  This results in a freeze on the View.  After many frantic minutes of trying to get it open to take out and put back in the battery (as this is what I was used to doing for my e280 when it froze) and failing, I stumble upon the 10-second reset by accident.  I successfully turn it on normally, and I then plug it back in to try to put some music on.  After this, I go off to do some things in town, bringing my View with me to listen to.  After listening to it for a while, I turn it off and go to lunch.  When I come back out, it won't turn on (I had it with me.  I never leave my players in the car).  I figured out that I had to use the 10-second reset again to turn it on, and now, whenever I turn it off by holding the power button for a few seconds, it won't turn back on without the 10-second reset, and when it does turn on (booting through the splash screen), it doesn't remember any of the "last state" settings regarding the music.  It does hold on to E.Q, date and time, and other system settings.

However, if I pause it and let it shut itself off, or use the system shutdown (home+power), it does remember the last played, etc.  But, it never powers up the short way (like from standby, skipping the splash screen) aymore.  It always does a full reboot.

Is this something I can fix, or do I need to see if SanDisk will accept a repair/exchange?

Edit:  A quick clarificaton on the last played memory:  The only way it keeps track of the true last song is through the pause/power saver.  (Probably obviously) the System Shutdown doesn't store its own last song information.

Message Edited by Malkierian on 05-30-2009 01:09 AM
Highlighted

Re: Sansa View doesn't turn on without 10-sec reset

I have one doing the same thing - does your radio work - mine freezes when I access the radio.

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Things you can try...

Assuming you have backups of all your files on your computer, on the View go to: More => Settings/Options => System Settings => Format and have it refromat itself (give it some time to do so as it takes a while). Then put your files back onto the View and see if it works better.

You could try installing the last new firmware also.

In any case, the View is an extremally buggy device and SanDisk has not released any new firmware for it in over 10 months (and no word if there ever will be any newer firmware to fix things). So, the better overall solution would be to return the View and get a Sansa Fuze instead (at least they are still releasing new firmware for the Fuze to fix things and add new features). [Or, better yet, forget about SanDisk Sansa and get a player from a better company like Cowon, Samsung, etc.]

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

I had tried reinstalling the firmware, and that didn't work.  I was considering the format to see if that fixed it.

I am a little sad that the View turned out to be not as good as I was thinking.  The problem with the Fuze was that it wasn't big enough for my music needs (I had gotten an e280 a few years ago, but after living with a shattered screen for a year, I decided to upgrade), and the View looked like a good candidate (and it worked quite well for the 2-3 months I had it before this stupid power outtage), especially since I could get it for around $100 off of Amazon (love that site Smiley Happy).  But because I bought it off of Amazon (through a third-party seller), I can't return it or exchange it, and I'm not in the position monetarily to buy something else.

Here's to hoping the format works >_<.

P.S.  Yes, the radio was freezing as well.

Edit:  Format didn't work.  Didn't do anything at all except remove all my user stuff (I don't know what version it is right now, or if it changed it at all or not).  I have to imagine that some critical system file was damaged that isn't fixed/replaced in a format or firmware update.

Message Edited by Malkierian on 06-03-2009 05:58 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

mine has the same problem, it also disconnects from my computer and xbox whenever it feels like it. I did some research and found out that my problem started when I started using it outside in -40 degree weather. The cold rating on the view is nowhere near that, so unless I have the nternal components repaired, it won't work properly. I also get a white line down the middle of the screen sometimes.