SanDisk User

Re: Sansa View Useless for Audio Books

Thanks Tony for all your help.

I was about to fallback the Firmware when I realized that the version you recommend also had problems for me. See http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=view&thread.id=264  Anyway I have downloaded it just in case I want to install it later.

The Ender series starts with "Ender's Game" the novel, not the short story so I wouldn't read any books from the series without reading the first book. One of those series that you really have to go in order.

Richard
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]
Dear Richard,
                   I must admit it is a matter of which is the worst of the three evils.
view01.01.06a    OR    View01.02.09f    OR the LATEST Let down view01.03.02a.

This one,   view01.01.06a  has the problems that you have kindly placed a LINK to

Here is a LINK to to this one,  View01.02.09f ,   which is why I have avoided it (Battery Problems).

And this one,  view01.03.02a  which you and Bonnie and others have experienced,  has poor FF/RW Functions.
Should  you allow it to auto shut down, when you switch back on,  you will have lost your bookmarks.

It is all  matter of which version is,  "Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire."

Last night I changed to  View01.02.09f  to see what experiences I had

I compiled this Post on Outlook,  yet this Forum will not allow me have a space between paragraphs, hence the lines

Best Regards.
Tony.
Message Edited by Arny on 02-10-2009 01:34 AM
SanDisk User

Dear Nikki

AudibleManager 5.1.0.2  is only software that is supplied by Audible.com in order to sell us their books, it is not intended to help us with other makes of Audiobooks that we already own.
It is also mainly designed to place money not only into Audible's pocket,  but  into Sansa's pocket as well.
I will not use this software or purchase any Audiobook from Audible.com,  for fear of encouraging this type of misconduct.

I have wondered how you got on, with constructing a Podcast file, and whether the second Instruction Post (With Pics) that I worked on helped you obtain a final working Podcast complete with bookmarking facilities.

I have since made a Macromedia Video Version of these instructions, and I am considering whether it is worth my while  posting it on You-Tube,  hoping it might be of  some help to other Sansa View Owners who are having problems with Bookmarking Facilities, my wife tells me it is very clear in Video Format.

Best Regards

Tony.
SanDisk User

Tony,

I've been talking with Sansa support on the book marking issue and it took me three tries to get them to understand the problem. Finally they came up with this answer, which seems to imply that the View is working as designed and it works that way regardless of your firmware version. I think I trust you Tony more then them...lol.   Take a read.

"Thanks again for calling SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

Please refer to your eBox anytime to see additional resources from SanDisk.

Thank you for clarifying the issue that you are having with the device. The resume function works when you pause the playback and turn off your Sansa. The next time you start your Sansa, you should be able to resume from where you paused it. This however does not apply if the device turns off due to the auto shut off feature of your player. This function is the same regardless of firmware version.
Thanks again for calling SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product."

Cheers

Richard

SanDisk User

Dear Richard,

My reply to Sansa Support would be

If things are as Sansa say:

This however does not apply if the device turns off due to the auto shut off feature of your player.

Unquote

Then this is bookmarking problem should not be the case and is unacceptable for most Sansa View Owners, besides it still does

not answer the VERY SLOW FF/RW Problem.

But in the case of Firmware Version view01.01.06a  No matter how the View is shut down Auto or otherwise

I have even let the battery go flat to discover when I switch on or recharge and switch on all of my bookmarking

is still there

In 24 hours of using Version View01.02.09f  I have not had any Bookmarking problems so far.

Most likely the guy you are writing to on Sansa Support,  is wise enough not to use any Sansa Products and therefore lacks

the experience that you and I,  and the many other members of this Forum are experiencing.

Best Regards

Tony

What a great tutorial.  Followed your instructions and everything worked as you described except the final outcome did not result in my files ending up under the Podcasts folder.   Instead they end up under a newly created subfolder under genre called podcasts.   The audio files play fine but do not have the bookmark feature.    I updated the firmware as you suggested to 01.01.06A.    Any suggestions on how to get my files into the main Podcasts folder?   I copied the files to the internal memory of the View as you described.

Tony:   Right after I sent my last reply to your post, I looked at your instructions again and realized that I had typed "Podcasts" into the genre box.   When I changed the genre to "Podcast" and copied the files to the View internal memory, voila they showed up in the Podcasts folder.   I listened for a brief moment to the first file then switched to some music and then came back to the initial file and the bookmark feature worked perfectly.   My compliments again on the absolute clarity of your tutorial.   It couldn't be any better.   Your contribution to solving this problem for me has been outstanding.
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

Dear Arthur,

Many thanks for your kind words it is when I receive a response for my work it does make it all worth while. 

I have also had a great response from Doctors, throughout the world,  who are prescribing the reading of my instructions  for their patients with insomnia problems.

Next thing we have to hope for,  when will Sansa improve the FF/RWND  because others have complained,  including myself that when I get half way through a book I try to reverse a little and suddenly.  because I did not press the circular control to the lower left 8 o clock rather than to the immediate left = 9  o clock, the book will shoot back to the beginning and even a 1 hour book fast forwarding is to much for anyone to handle.
What I have been recommending is using this free tried & tested software called "Audiobookcutter"
http://www.audiobookcutter.com/

I then cut my books down to 15 minute chapters, when loading them into the Podcast Folder on the Sansa Few ***  do NOT place each chapter into separate folders

(I call it Few because only a few things work properly ).

Best Regards

Tony

Message Edited by Arny on 03-13-2009 11:57 PM
Highlighted

nmc

you rock! thanks for the podcast solution. works great. 

The Podcasts solution is a poor substitute for what you would be getting if you had an .aa audiobook. The most annoying thing about this solution is if you hit the left side of the wheel (rewind) once by accident (picking it up wrong, adjusting the volume, etc) you are back to the beginning of the file. Then you get to sit there holding the FF button for EVER to get to where you were, IF you remembered where you were.

Sansa needs a lawsuit in the worst way for misrepresenting their product. .aa audiobooks have bookmarking, a nice pause where you left off feature that survives any kind of power issue and everything WE PAID FOR WHEN WE PURCHASED THIS $179.00 machine! This is wrong on so many levels. I purchased two for may aging parents so that they had audiobook ability and because they are OLD, they keep hitting the left side of the wheel, so they are so exasperated they just stopped using them. Do YOU know anyone who has $350.00 to kiss goodbye for a product that should have been perfect for them? I want to see a firmware revision that addresses the slow fast forward and eliminates the .AA restriction and allows for MP3 and M4b. I want that NOW. Audible.com doesnt even HAVE the audiobooks my parents listen to, so they wouldnt be getting my business anyway. Now they NEVER will due to the principle of the thing. Sansa is forcing its customers to trash the machine and go buy an iPOD? This is an outrage!

Just try to explain to 80 year olds how to rename the genre to podcasts, make a folder, shorten the files, etc. Are you kidding me?