SanDisk User

Re: Sansa View Latest Firmware 01.01.06a Download

[ Edited ]
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I had it installed but quickly uninstalled it. The View is a fantastic piece of kit but the Sansa Updater is just woeful:

* Why does it need to be a service (that I couldn't find in Services to disable when I don't need it)?
* Why would I want it running "all the time"? Firmware upgrades don't get released daily. It's no wonder so many people complain their Windows installations run slowly with so much background programs running 24/7 (e.g - this and RealPlayer, QuickTime, the list is endless).
* I had to having it running 24/7 or uninstall it, that seemed to be the options.
* What is wrong with a simple utility you open by the Start Menu which then checks for any updates, but when you close it it actually closes?
* The updater doesn't provide the facility to backup the old firmware or the new firmware first. I recently rolled back to the prior version after the new firmware was originally pulled.

It's completely useless in it's current form.

Hence I'm interested in a proper download link. Can you please confirm if the new firmware on the Sansa Updater is 100% identical to the firmware that was posted on the 29th of January then later removed (the version number is the same but I'm concerned despite this the new firmware is different)? Detailed here:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25551

And here:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=view&thread.id=3489

Thanks.

Message Edited by bradavon on 02-18-2008 08:48 PM
SanDisk Fanatic

QUESTION # 1
FYI - To close of the Updater: Plug in your View, and let the Sansa updater load.  The, put your cursor on the small icon in the item tray in the button lower right.  Right click your mouse and, you will see and option to "Exit" the Sansa Updater, and an option to "Never check for updates" this will disable the updater upon connect to your PC.

QUESTION #2
I believe it is labeled as the same firmware, although Sandisk pulled it to fix a dew more bugs...Smiley Wink

And most importantly: When ever you log on to your PC, you can put the cursor on any of the icons for background programs running, and "Exit" them one by one.  This will greatly increase the speed of your PC.

Hope this helps...Smiley Very Happy

SanDisk User

[ Edited ]
QUESTION # 1

Thanks but what do I then do if I want to run it? If you run any of the EXEs manually you're told only the Service can run them, which I was unable to find in Services. Any ideas? If I do as you suggest I don't know away to run it at all, and may as well uninstall it.

QUESTION #2

Thanks again. Is that definitely correct? If so that's mighty confusing and more the reason to provide a download link, incidentally why is 01.01.06a still being advertised as the latest firmware when it's not? Why is a new firmware in the forum replacing it?

It's all so confusing when the forum clearly say 01.01.06a is the latest firmware and 1.02.09a has been withdrawn but the Sansa Updater says otherwise and offers 1.02.09a.

I think I'll stick with 01.01.06a for now. 1.02.09a isn't being made properly available and I'm not keen to install the "original" 1.02.09a firmware.

Thanks again for your help.

p.s - I'd prefer they didn't run in the first place Smiley Wink

Message Edited by bradavon on 02-19-2008 03:44 AM
SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]
Well, if you select the icon select "Exit" it will exit for your current connect to the PC session.  When you re-connect again, it will again re-load.  This will hopefully give you the option of not having it run in the background, without having to uninstall the program.

BTW- The Sansa Updater itself has a new version... You may want to get that...

FYI - The 09.A is a re-release, and not the one that was pulled a few days/weeks ago.

You mention "the 06.A is still being advertised as the most current"...  **Most of the info on this forum, comes from users such as ourselves, so the info you come across may be old/outdated...  Especially when  users reply without reading the post.... 

Hope this helps....  as that is my only intention...  Smiley Very Happy

Check this more recent thread...

Message Edited by randyjjtcc on 02-18-2008 11:03 PM
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]
I presumed Sandisk themselves uploaded 01.01.06a to "this" forum but I see it was an end-user.

1.02.09a now supersedes this thread and can be downloaded here:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=view&thread.id=4018

This thread is OLD!

Message Edited by bradavon on 02-19-2008 05:42 PM
SanDisk User

When I click on the View icon, I only see the 16gb memory icon. Where is the root directory?

@Jake wrote:

Hey everyone,

So, I called SanDisk earlier with a question about the Sansa Clip, during that call, I mentioned something in regards to my Sansa View. The tech on the phone (whom was very friendly and helpful) mentioned to me that there was a new firmware update for the View out today. So I asked him to have someone send it to me. Not too long after, I got the firmware and instructions in my e-mail.

So, it is the same instructions as last time... I'll just copy and paste...

Sansa View Firmware & Instructions

Latest: 01.01.06a

SanDisk has just released the 01.01.06a firmware revision for the Sansa View. Download links and the release notes are available below.

For AMERICAS - You can download the .zip file by clicking on this link.

1. Extract the .zip file into a folder on your computer.
  2. Once extracted, drag all five files file to the root directory of your Sansa View.
  3. Disconnect the Sansa View and let it restart.
  4. The firmware update will now begin.
  5. Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will boot back up. Once its back to the main menu, head to "Settings / Options" > "System Settings", and verify the "Version" is now 01.01.06A.

Congrats, you have just installed the latest firmware!

Message Edited by MrSmileyFace on 03-11-2008 02:59 PM

SanDisk User

Hey umm, I dowgraded to the .06 <thanks for the instructions by the way!> and all of my music is still on there. <I haven't put pics or vids on yet.> Is that supposed to happen, or is it only sometimes that it gets all deleted?

Thanks again!

Everybody keeps saying how this version has problems but so far it's stellar. It certainly fixed the 4 hours of battery I was getting in the .09 version. I've yet to have a song freeze whereas with the .09 it would freeze right and left.

The only thing I miss is the fade in on the backlight. 

Highlighted

A great big THANK YOU to everyone that has contributed to this forum.

I'm a recent View owner and have slowly tried all the suggestions. I purchased the it, my families' third Sansa product, because it is a good balance of music and video. It is named the "View" after all. I believe the View is another good piece of hardware from Sandisk. It's their software that needs work. I originally went through Sandisk's Support and did try the 09 FM and the Sansa Media Converter. But thanks to everyone at this forum I'm having few issues using the 06 FM with Any Video Converter. What a difference! My View seems to do pretty much what its supposed to do and rolling back the FM to 06 using the steps listed here did not erase any data.

Thanks again.

Re: Woohoo! Thanks SanDisk! Another View Firmware Update! 01.01.06A download link inside!

I have the same problem with two drives showing up.  I am on the latest firmware and have USB set to "Auto Detect", so when the player starts up I have two View icons in the drive list.  This is apparently confusing Rhapsody, because when I start the Rhapsody software it hangs until I either turn off the View or disconnect it.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Pete