Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: Sansa View Firmware 01.02.09 Download

[ Edited ]
You havent lost the firmware files in your root directory, the View deletes them once they have been installed
Message Edited by kaptinvimes on 04-05-2008 01:45 PM
Highlighted

This reinforces what many others have said. My experience was that the .09 FW upgrade made all video playable but dropped batt life to about 12 hours. After shutting down and only showing the red batt icon if trying to re-start,  the view still showed 55% battery when viewed in properties in explorer.

Rolled back to FW .06, reset to factory defaults and dropped brightness to lowest setting, and suddenly battery life is at 28 hours, mp3s at 192kbs. This time when the player would only show the red low batt icon, it showed 37% batt life when viewed in properties in explorer. A much better outcome. Pity Sansa tech support didn't suggest any of this, rather they said  had a dud and should return it. Not good enough.

I am pretty pissed off I had to work all this out myself, albeit with the generous and comprehensive help of the users of this forum. After buying the view and upgrading the firmware, as Sansa suggests, I thought I had a dud with batt life at 12 hours and had arranged to return the unit. Thankgoodness I didn't waste my time further by travelling tothe store I purchased it from to swap a perfectly good player for another one. I would have then upgraded the FW again and had another dud.

The view is a beautiful object and seems to function very well and certianly has good sound. It is such a pity then that Sansa would treat us so badly by releasing a FW upgrade that cripples batt life and not even tell us that will happen. If I had known that the price of proper video playback would be less than half the batt life then I could have made an informed decision. 

I hope Sansa are monitoring this forum and take these comments on board. They have some work to do to wim back this consumer's trust. 

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

@percargle wrote:

I hope Sansa are monitoring this forum and take these comments on board. They have some work to do to wim back this consumer's trust. 

I would say "don't hold your breath" and welcome to the club.  You're not alone in that sentiment.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

@eddiehaskell wrote:

@percargle wrote:

I would say "don't hold your breath" and welcome to the club.  You're not alone in that sentiment.

Agreed 1,000%.  I thought it would get better, so I bought the View.  I won't buy another SD DAP until this changes.
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
I was initially afraid of messing something up with the process.  Yet I did it successfully without any problems at all!! YIPPEE!!  Smiley Happy
Message Edited by Ediva75 on 04-06-2008 02:46 PM
Highlighted

Fixes alot of bugs but the battery life is only about four hours of listening to music, I had to roll back to 01.01.06A to fix the problem.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

I've been testing firmware 01.01.06 and 01.02.09:

* All files: MP3 128Kbps CBR
* All Music Files (3200 Files in Total)
* Repeat ON
* Volume is about 60%
* Brightness 50%
* Equaliser: Normal

In each test I used the same "All Artists" selection. When I shutdown the Sansa View I always made sure I shut it down properly, by holding down the POWER button for 10-20 seconds.

First Test - 01.02.09:

8:30pm to 6:10am - Shutdown to go to bed
7:00pm to 4:40am - Battery Dead

TOTAL running time: 19Hrs 20Mins

Second Test - 01.01.06:

11:10am to 5:10am - Shutdown to go to bed
6:00pm to 2:30am - Battery Dead

TOTAL running time: 26Hrs 30Mins

Third Test - 01.02.09:

2:15pm to 5:45am - Shutdown to go to bed
8:50pm to 2:55am - Battery Dead

TOTAL running time: 23Hrs 40Mins

Fourth Test - 01.02.09:

5:15pm to 7:45am - Shutdown to go to bed
6:15pm to 8:45am - Shutdown to go to bed
8:05pm to 9:15pm - Battery Dead

TOTAL running time: 30Hrs 25Mins

During the last test, when I turned the View back on (the first time) it had lost the "Play Last Track" option, meaning I had to start the songs from the start. I don't think this would've had much effect on the running time, considering all the songs are 128Kbps MP3s.

It does show (in my experience) there really isn't "much" in it. I'll stick with 01.02.09. I don't really see the point testing 01.01.06 again.

I'd love to know why (playing the exact same files) each time I've had wildly different running times???

Maybe the battery charge increases the longer the View is used in succession? (i.e - it's warmed up). I was literally either using the View, had it in Shutdown state or Charging. As soon as the View died I'd put it back on Charge and start again.

I've certainly got nowhere near the reported 35 hours! , but maybe if I use it long enough it may go up to that amount.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

@bradavon wrote:
I've been testing firmware 01.01.06 and 01.02.09:

Fourth Test - 01.02.09:

5:15pm to 7:45am - Shutdown to go to bed
6:15pm to 8:45am - Shutdown to go to bed
8:05pm to 9:15pm - Battery Dead

TOTAL running time: 30Hrs 25Mins

During the last test, when I turned the View back on (the first time) it had lost the "Play Last Track" option, meaning I had to start the songs from the start. I don't think this would've had much effect on the running time, considering all the songs are 128Kbps MP3s.

It does show (in my experience) there really isn't "much" in it. I'll stick with 01.02.09. I don't really see the point testing 01.01.06 again.

Well, kudos for taking the time and documenting as thoroughly as you have.  Maybe there are differences in what you play and what others are loading their Views with.  Personally, mine was loaded with MP3 and WMA (Subscription) ranging from 128 to 192 with plenty of VBR WMA in the mix.  Maybe it's the mix, or maybe the VBR, or maybe it's the subscription (Napster To Go!!) stuff and the license/decryption/JANUS-clock stuff--I couldn't tell you for sure.  I know I had my View for a while before going to 1.01.06 and then a few weeks before 01.02.09 (picked it up in November, if I remember correctly).  I know that numerous times my View's battery would die before the end of my work day after 02.09, so I rolled back and saw that problem go away.

Fortunately, I don't do much else with mine besides music, so 01.06 suits me fine for now except for the intermittent UI hangs and the equalizer forgetting its settings.  Regardless, if it works for you, more power (pun intended) to you.  Smiley Wink

-Tk

Message Edited by tmkirk on 05-05-2008 01:46 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk User

No worries, glad I could give my feedback.

I'd love to know why each time I got completely different results. I ran the same criteria each time. That's a weird one. I only ran 01.01.06 once in the end because I could see 01.02.09 averaged out to be as good for me.

I don't use a SD card and have no video on the View, one day I'll get around to looking into that. 

Highlighted

ive never encountered the "not recognizing the player " problem. However, i only have almost 900 songs, and it jams my Sansa up like crazy when i shuffle. I always have to press home to get out of the freezed mode.

I'm a sansa user who does not really use vids/radio. Is the firmware update  better, or for worse