Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: Sansa View Firmware 01.02.09 Download

I'm happy we get firmware updates at all. You're buying the product and a one year warranty, nothing is included about firmware. Sure, it's industry precedent that supporting products includes giving out free updates to the software functionality (except apple's latest "ipod touch" update, what a joke, $20 for extra features that it should have had on release) but not every company releases firmware for their players. Thankfully SanDisk does, albeit hit and miss with the View so far.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -Galileo Galilei
Highlighted
SanDisk User

But that kind of ignores the fact that the View is not really functioning as it should.  In other words, the product does not perform in a satisfactory manner with the firmware that we now have.

I received mine as a gift.  I keep it (1) out of respect to the person who gave it to me and (2) in hope that firmware improvements will make this the great player it could have been.  Without those two factors, I would have returned mine to the store.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

I'm sure that SanDisk's developers are burning the midnight oil tweaking the last firmware update.

It's a great thing that updates are available, considering the competition's issues...

The next firmware will be good news, I hope.  (Keeping fingers crossed and earbuds on!)

Bob  Smiley Happy
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
I agree with neutron_bob, that the engineers and programmers are probably hard at work.  However, a positive attitude about the future does nothing to change the present.  None of the firmwares released ever for the View allow it to function in a way that meets, let alone exceeds, the specifications on the box, in the promotional literature, or in the user's manual.   There is no way to sugar coat this.  Those specifications represent what the View was supposed to be, could possibly be someday, but not what it is.  I want what I was told I was paying for.  It is that simple.  No special favors are being asked for.

I remember when firmware was used as a way to apply emergency patches for mistakes and for actually squeezing new functionality into a device once the engineers had figured a way to tweak things.   These days we are told we are lucky the manufacturer publishes firmware updates at all!  The manufacturers are lucky we keep buying their devices.  If I sold the CEO of Sandisk(r) an automobile with a faulty emissions system chip and then told him he is lucky that I will someday provide a fix ... well, I am fairly certain he would have a fine laugh.  And then his pack of attack lawyers would descend upon me.

Message Edited by engram on 03-08-2008 05:25 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Totally agree with Engram. I don't want "extras." I want what was published for this device. Good battery life, gapless playback, a shuffle mode that does not bring the unit to it's knees, no occasional static in the right sound channel. I dont do videos so have no input for that. But despite these complaints I do still enjoy my View, and talked a buddy and his wife into getting the View too.

Sigh...

Years ago corporations were held liable for false advertisement. Now it is the norm to false advertise, and then hide behind fancy lawyers.

Sandisk, just give us the features YOU promised. That's all I ask for...

Ply
Highlighted
SanDisk User

My Sansa View is what they promised, i have awesome battery life, and i do have gapless playback, and the shuffle mode works great! I love sanDisk for the great players they made over the years. Go SanDisk Sansa! Yes maybe some players do come bricked but maybe some are just fine! Good Luck with your problems
Highlighted
SanDisk User

I just purchased the View at Office Depot (very good price of about $70).

With all that is being stated here what firmware version should i be on? 

It is at 01.00.00A

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=view&thread.id=851
Highlighted
SanDisk User

what will the next firmware update # be? 01.03.00? I just hope it fixes the shuffle prob.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Eric you DO NOT have gapless playback. Not one View has gapless...

Ply