Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Sansa View Battery Replacement

[ Edited ]
I have been debating the purchase of a View vs. an E280.  Because I tend to keep and use products for a long time, the question of replacing the View's rechargeable battery is significant for me.  Copied below is the question sent to SanDisk and the reply I received this morning.  This is just an FYI for those of you who may be considering the same issue.  (P.S. I ordered an E280 from Amazon yesterday for $103.99, with free shipping).

My question:

You misunderstood me...this is not a warranty question regarding a defective battery.  I meant that after 2-3 years, when the View's rechargeable battery no longer holds a charge (as they all eventually do), must I discard the entire device or can I send it to SanDisk and pay for a replacement battery to be installed?
Thanks,
Dan

SanDisk Technical Support Response:

Hello Dan,

Thank you for replying.

At this time, we do not have a repair faculity at all. Maybe in the future we will, but this is all undetermined.

No way to resolve it, if the battery is dead.

Best Regards,
Steven B
SanDisk Technical Support

Message Edited by DanCorcoran on 11-27-2007 08:51 AM
Highlighted

Re: Sansa View Battery Replacement

No repair facility at all? No way to resolve the issue of a dead battery?

They can't be serious!
Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]
Their first response was that, if the View was under warranty, they would take care of it.  Since I had not yet bought one, that wasn't my concern.  My guess is that if it was under warranty and the battery pooped out, they would just replace the unit.  That's why I opted for the E280 instead.

Message Edited by DanCorcoran on 11-27-2007 08:52 AM
Highlighted

Replacement batteries are available for the e280 - you don't have to send the unit back to SanDisk for replacement - you buy a battery and follow the instructions to replace. I've seen the batteries for sale on-line for around $25.
Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Yes, I'm aware that the E280 has user-replaceable batteries...that's the reason I chose it over the View.  I posted this thread on the View forum so that anyone contemplating buying a View would know that the batteries are not user replaceable and that SanDisk will not (for the present, anyway) replace them either, unless the unit is under warranty and the original battery was defective.

In other words, the View was designed to be discarded, once the original battery no longer holds a charge.
Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

This is not news, its even stated on the back of the box, the user manual and by sandisk support. 
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

This issue has been posted multiple times in the forums. It was one of the very first View questions here as well
Having trouble with video transfer for your View? Try using the Any Video Converter (yes that's the name). It can be downloaded at www.any-video-converter.com (pick the free one) It's easy to use, just make it a .mp4
Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]
Sorry, folks, I just started looking for a Christmas present for my wife.  I've spent several hours looking at sellers' websites and user forums and was unable to find any clear statement that the View was intended to be discarded when the battery died.  I have no axe to grind with SanDisk...as I said, I just ordered an E280.  I was hoping to find an inexpensive 30 fps MP3 player with a user-replaceable battery, but I've settled for 15 fps.  No problem...

Dan

Message Edited by DanCorcoran on 11-27-2007 06:15 PM
Highlighted

This is a forum, you don't have to post "news", you can post your view ... pun intended. There is one post that says "SanDisk will not be replacing  batteries."  where the source of that information is not given. I do know how to read, and search. 
Highlighted

Saw an external battery for an Ipod at Bestbuy. plugs into the bottom of player. wud be nice to have something similar for the View.