Highlighted

Sansa E260v2 failed firmware upgrade... any way to recover?

While manually updating firmware on my e260v2 via OSX (download/extract zip to .bin file, drag to Sansa in Recovery mode, eject, disconnect)   Was in the black and white screen for over an hour stating "writing ROM"... figured it totally froze up, so held the power button for 15 seconds. Turned off, but now doesn't do anything... won't respond to power or connecting to computer, even in Recovery mode. (locked, press and hold record button while connecting usb cable)

Is there any way to recover this, or do I now have a brick?

Highlighted

Re: Sansa E260v2 failed firmware upgrade... any way to recover?

so I'll assume I am the proud owner of a glossy metal backed brick...

*sigh*

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMSUnbrick Unbricking the e200v2 is not easy. You have to take it apart and short out the memory chip. Then use a disk imaging tool like dd to image a new firmware file over it. That said the firmware update shouldn't be able to fail, so i might wonder if something was wrong with the player anyway.
Highlighted

Wow... awesome... thank you very much for replying. I will pull it apart and solder a jumper on there like it says, then see if I can get it to mount. I assume I will have to keep the battery connected for it to mount? Or will it pull juice from the usb connection? By the images in that post, no Sansa battery is connected...

Thanks again for your helping out....
Highlighted

Thanks again for your help... sadly, I think I'm SOL with the e260. The board configuration is different from what that page shows as jumpers for the e200... vastly more complex pin structure in the e260, and a totally different layout.

I did find instruction for booting the e260v2 into manufacturing mode (pressing center select button while plugging in usb) but even that resulted in nothing. No blue ring, no signs of life, etc.

so... by my account, something i did by pressing and holding the power button after it sitting over an hour in "updating rom" mode appears to have fried the thing.

Thanks again....