Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Playlists not Working - Suggestions?

Sorry to all for the length of this if this is a repeat but I really am getting very frustrated.  This has to do with Playlists for the View and not being able to get them to create, load and show up on my View.

Background, I am not new to Sansa. I was the owner of an e250 2 GB model and a 2 GB micro SD.  I had to replace my e250 because I dropped it and the screen broke – no display.  I used to use an app called “Sanse Playlister” from hcware.com.  It was great; I would load up the mp3 files on the e250, open Playlister, organize, create and save playlists on both the onboard storage and the microSD.  It worked like a champ and still does for the other “e” products still in the house.

I bought the View (like all the other Sansa’s) as a refurb from Tigerdirect.

No matter what I have tried, I can’t get playlists to show up and work on this View.  I have read through this forum for others suggestions, comments and directions.  I even enlisted the help from Sandisk (yeah, not very) and followed their instructions.  Nothing works.

Now, I have music loaded and the View does work – mp3s, couple of short videos and jpgs. MP3s play fine and I can access the music through all selectable menu items except Playlists.  I like creating playlists to customize my music playback.

I have used the above Playlister tool, WMP11, MediaMonkey, Playlist Creator 3.6 and even Sandisk's suggestion http://kb.sandisk.com/cgi-bin/sandisk_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=224.  Using these various tools, I have created playlists as .PLA, PLS and M3Us nothing shows up on the View under playlists though when I use Windows Explorer I can see the files.  Some built M3Us I can get them to play on my PCs WMP11 when I open the M3U file.

HELP!  What am I doing wrong?  What am I missing?  Can someone make any suggestions?  I really like this device and don’t want to send it against the wall.

(my computer is a Windown XP machine)

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: Playlists not Working - Suggestions?

Here is what I do:

You need Windows XP or later, and you need to have your music transfered in MTP mode.

1. Plug in the player in MTP mode and open the music folder.
  2. Select a folder or file (you can also do multiple selections) and right click on your selection.
  3. From the menu, select Create Playlist.
  4. A file named "New Playlist" is created, change the name to what you like.
  5. Cut and paste or drag the playlist file to the Playlist folder on the View.
  6. If you double click on the file, Windows opens up its playlist editor (yes, Windows XP comes with a simple playlist editor compatible with the View!).
  7. You can now add more songs by draging them to the playlist editor window, delete songs from the playlist, reorder songs, etc.
  8. Unplug the View.
  9. The playlist should be in the playlist section, under the name you gave it.

I was amazed how simple this is when I learned of it.

Hope this helps!

V.

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

What I do is make a playlist in Windows Media Player 11. Put a few songs in there or how ever many you want. Make sure you clicked create new playlist not a folder. Sync to your View. If you want to add more songs to it open your view to the screen of 3 rows of folders (one screen past internal memory screen) one should say playlists. Open that Then open the playlist you made and move to the side. Go Back to the music folder and open the folder of the artists and albums and drag and drop the songs into the playlist pop up you opened earlier. Close the music folder when you are done AND HIT OK ON THE PLAYLIST POP UP if not any thing you put in that pop up wont be in the file on your View. I have moved like all the songs into the pop up and didnt hit ok and i had to go back and do it again. Hope this helps
Highlighted
SanDisk User

@vroom wrote:

I was amazed how simple this is when I learned of it.

Hope this helps!

V.

This is how I've been doing it, as well ... it works without any hiccups!

I've also used WinAMP to create playlists on my View, but WinAMP locks up every 10-12 uses and needs to be reinstalled!  However, it's great for organizing music already on my View....

Highlighted

vroom, thanks!Smiley Happy

After seeing your response and trying it, I did the old slap to the foreheard routine!  With my previous Sansa e250 player, that is how I used to load files and create playlists.  So duh!, tried it again. My View is now fully operational with playlists and all the other various ways the mp3s can be organized. Thank you for responding and thanks for the help...