Highlighted
SanDisk User

Playing Music While Charging?

Is there any way to play musc while charging the View?
Highlighted

Re: Playing Music While Charging?

so here is my stupid simple but effective solution.

I have a couple of old usb 1.1 extension cables that were next to useless. on one end or the other, which ever looks easier to you.  cut a strip of tape and cover up the 2 middle contacts on the usb connection.  Those are the data pins.  The outside 2 are the power pins.  This effectively makes the view invisible to the  computer but  the view will still see the power coming from the other pins and start charging like it was attached to a wall charger. 

That way when I'm at work listening at my desk I can top off the battery and keep listening. 
Highlighted

Good idea Feyde, thanks.

Do you have a video or something like that to do it safely  ?
Highlighted

not much that can go wrong,  either it will work or it wont worse case is is you view will sit there not connected and not charging either.  one reason I did it to an old usb 1.1 cable is that it wouldn't matter if I ruined the cable or not.  I wouldn't do this to you view's cable so you don't have to dig out the tape.

if you are worried about it use some black electricians tape that is non conductive.  but I just used some clear scotch tape 'cause its what I had in my desk at work.

just cover the middle 2 data pins and leave the grnd and 5volt alone and you should be fine.
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Or you could always use an AC charger Smiley Happy  (as long as there isn't a data connection, the player can operate while charging)
Having trouble with video transfer for your View? Try using the Any Video Converter (yes that's the name). It can be downloaded at www.any-video-converter.com (pick the free one) It's easy to use, just make it a .mp4
Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

You can find a nice USB wall and car charger set for around $20.
Highlighted

I have the wall and car charger and a question about using the car charger.

I bought a cable that goes into the AUX input of my car stereo so I can play the View through the car stereo. However, when I tried to use the car charger while playing music there was a lot of noise/buzz/hum so I stoppped trying to charge.

Does anyone have an opinion on what this was?

Is it "normal"?
Does my car stereo have a loose/missing Ground or other connection?

It works fine when not connected to the cigarette lighter. Though, now that I'm asking, the volume from the View is low. I have the Volume set to High in the View's internel settings but I have to crank the car stereo volume much higher than I would for the radio or to play a CD.

Thanks.
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
I'm no expert but you probably need a ground loop isolator installed some where.  does it happen only when you are moving? how about if the car is just turned on but the motor isn't running? you would have to do a google search or talk to some one who knows more about car audio.

Message Edited by feyde on 02-07-2008 07:22 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]
I have the same set up, with a AV cable into the radio, and the USB to car charger, and I have no background noise.  It sounds like a ground issue for sure...

Message Edited by randyjjtcc on 02-11-2008 12:03 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Since my OE car radios do not have a jack, found a car charger and a FM modulator off of ebay for practically nothing along with a bunch of other stuff for the View.  That requires two cigar lighter sockets, intend to combine these cables into one plug and also shorten them so not laying all over the floor.  FM capture ratio is a blessing where the stronger of the two signals completely kills the weaker, while the modulator offers a choice of six different frequencies, it kills even the strongest signal, so just assign one push button to that default freqency.  Since the medium is rf energy, no ground loop problems and since the radio has AGC, volume is constant.

I did add an amplier and far superior speakers to the OE sound system, but trying to replace these latest OE radios with an aftermarket unit, is getting to be quite a challenge.  These radios are integrated into the data link system, part of the alarm and anti-thief circuit, made in strange shapes and are a PITA to change.  For the die hards, is to cable these radios to a remote location and stack an aftermarket on top of it, then, how long are you going to keep that vehicle?  Ha, your second largest investment, what a word, biggest throwaway item I own.