Highlighted

Never really shuts off?

I know the View has a Power Save "Feature" where it shuts off after 5 minutes and then goes into standby or something. I had been shutting my sansa off manually and it didn't seem to go into standby and thus waste 1/4 of my battery life by the next time I turned it on. Ever since the latest firmware update, it always seems to go into standby, even if I manually power it off. Has anyone else had this problem? Can you roll back to earlier firmware versions?

I can't believe how poor the firmware is on this thing. If I do shuffle and play all, the interface locks up but it continues playing music. If I play recently added tracks and skip ahead a few -- again it locks up. And the standby issue is just ridiculous. Why exactly can't I disable this feature, SanDisk? I'm getting about 3 hours of playtime on my view when you consider it uses all it's battery life doing nothing while it's "off". I've tried the battery test and if I fully charge it and let it play, it goes well over 24 hours so obviously it's not a capacity issue.

As another aside, does anyone know of a car charger that allows you to play while charging? Since my View is totally unreliable to stay charged...At least my old e270 would stay charged, might have had a million other firmware issues but...So frustrated with this thing.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: Never really shuts off?

with any car charger the view can still play music
Highlighted
SanDisk User

I am able to turn it off manually just fine.. are you holding the power button properly?  I usually hold it for 10 seconds or so just to make sure
Highlighted

Thanks for the tip about the car charger - I'll pick up a cheapie on ebay I guess

As to whether I'm powering it off correctly - Yes. I didn't have a problem until this last firmware upgrade. But I've also noticed the battery meter is totally out of calibration now. When I turn it on, the sansa says it's in the red for battery. When I plug it into my computer, it says ~65%. 65% is still too much of a drain for the 3 hours I used it yesterday but it's better than 5%... Guess I'll fully charge it and let it play itself dead in hopes of recalibrating.

Does anyone know what the official way to recalibrate the battery is? And is it possible to roll back to earlier firmware?
Highlighted
SanDisk User

You know, my previous mp3 player ran perfectly well on a single AA rechargable battery.  It would play for about a week, and then I would pop in another rechargable battery I kept in my car or desk, and recharge the other one.  I NEVER had my player go dead in the middle of the day and leave me stuck (if nothing else, you could buy a new one at any gas station).  And I never had to pay for a converter to get power from my car.

So why are we left with these permanently-implanted non-replacable batteries?  I would gladly trade a little weight and profile width to do away with all the hassles of these non-replaceable batteries!

Bad design decision.

The only benefits are the thin profile and a little lower weight.  Oh, and to Sansa's benefit, we have to buy a new unit (instead of a battery) when we think the battery life is too poor to put up with.

So much for my rant for today!
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

CraigP wrote:
You know, my previous mp3 player ran perfectly well on a single AA rechargable battery.  It would play for about a week, and then I would pop in another rechargable battery I kept in my car or desk, and recharge the other one.  I NEVER had my player go dead in the middle of the day and leave me stuck (if nothing else, you could buy a new one at any gas station).  And I never had to pay for a converter to get power from my car.

So why are we left with these permanently-implanted non-replacable batteries?  I would gladly trade a little weight and profile width to do away with all the hassles of these non-replaceable batteries!

Bad design decision.

The only benefits are the thin profile and a little lower weight.  Oh, and to Sansa's benefit, we have to buy a new unit (instead of a battery) when we think the battery life is too poor to put up with.

So much for my rant for today!

you would be suprised how many complain about the opposite.
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

I remember my old Sony MiniDisc player...it had removeable, rechargeable lithium ion batteries AND an adapter to use regular batteries for extra life or for those "emergency" situations when you're rechargeables are dead. That was the **bleep**.

But ya, ideally smart manufacturers create products that are capable of fantastic battery life (view) and don't piss it away in standby (view...) so that we don't have to ever really think about recharging very often or running out of juice...
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

i think the standby mode was intended to avoid the long turn on times. It doesnt bother me none, its not like I am not at a charger often enough to charge it.
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

Ive noticed on my E260 and View if you pause the song before turning it off that battery maintains a good charge but some reason if you just turn it off while playing a song the next day when you turn it on the battery is about 1/2 dead not sure why that is  
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Yes, there should be an easy way to select whether to turn the View off or put it in standby.

Sliding the power switch while pressing the centre of the wheel would be one way to change the default off mode.

John