MrSmileyFace ... Playlists support for MSC mode?

Are there any plans to support playlists in MSC mode? m3u, etc? There have been several posts but no real response except for some cheap work-arounds of which most do not work. How about an official response so we can decide to keep this product or find another that will. Aren't playlists a common feature? m3u are text files, not to hard to support, right?

Regards,

Scott

SanDisk Guru

Re: MrSmileyFace ... Playlists support for MSC mode?

i would much rather see other issues addressed before a "new feature" is added.

Besides, just cuz .m3u playlist isn't "supported", does not mean it will not work. Just dont expect tech support to walk you through it. Haven't various users already achieved m3u playlist on the View?

Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

From what I read in this forum and at several other places on the web, the Sansa View does not support ANY kind of playlist copied to the player in MSC mode. I tried .m3u, .pla and several others. I tried scripts other people wrote (bash, perl, even a GUI program using perl-gtk) - to no avail. You can put whatever stuff you want to the player's PLAYLISTS directory - it won't appear in the menu.

This is not a "new feature". This is basic functionality. If something as basic like this doesn't work, what good is the player? (No, I don't need a door stopper that size - too thin).
SanDisk User

Here's the response from support.

Request: 

How can I create a playlist for my Sansa View while the device is connected in MSC (usb-mass storage) mode? I need to be able to create the playlist using third-party software, (not Windows Media player), and simply copy the playlist file to the device.

Response: 

The playlist format used by the Sansa View is .pla.
However, it may not be possible to add playlists in MSC mode, as the device is designed to be used exclusively in MTP mode.
I do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

This is about a crap reply from Support. I would expect them to support playlists in MCS mode. What is the point of having a product that only works correctly in the crappy MTP mode. Perhaps RockBox will show them how to do it, or I may just give this player to someone else as a stocking stuffer and get a better one.

I wonder if Sansa actually uses their own product or they just have board meetings about using them.

Regards,

Scott.

Message Edited by smartin64 on 03-31-2008 08:04 PM
SanDisk Professor

Well seeing as its only (by default) a MTP device, then one would expect if you bought it when it doesn't say anything about MSC supported natively, that you would use the device in MTP mode...

They may decide to add MSC support to the device in the future, but for now, everyone needs to use the device as it was intended to be used 

Having trouble with video transfer for your View? Try using the Any Video Converter (yes that's the name). It can be downloaded at www.any-video-converter.com (pick the free one) It's easy to use, just make it a .mp4

So basically you are saying that we should glad that there is that MSC mode at all, no matter if it actually works?

I don't know about others, but for me MSC mode was one of the main reasons why I bought this player. It was advertised, so it better work. And no, just file transfer and nothing else is not my definition of "it works".

If I'd be happy with crappy MTP mode, I might as well have bought an iPod. That thing also would force me to use software I don't like (iTunes) and to do crazy things to get basic functionality working. And at least there are all kinds of accessory to be had everywhere.

No, sorry, that just doesn't cut it.
SanDisk Guru

where was msc advertised, im jsut curious... as i usually dont see that anywhere
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

[ Edited ]

@HuHa wrote:
So basically you are saying that we should glad that there is that MSC mode at all, no matter if it actually works?

I don't know about others, but for me MSC mode was one of the main reasons why I bought this player. It was advertised, so it better work. And no, just file transfer and nothing else is not my definition of "it works".

If I'd be happy with crappy MTP mode, I might as well have bought an iPod. That thing also would force me to use software I don't like (iTunes) and to do crazy things to get basic functionality working. And at least there are all kinds of accessory to be had everywhere.

No, sorry, that just doesn't cut it.
i am looking at my box and it has no mention of MSC mode.

FYI MSC mode is there for device recovery.

besides you can drag and drop you mp3's in MTP mode as well so what is the differance? do you just like to see the drive letter?
Message Edited by drlucky on 04-02-2008 11:09 AM
SanDisk User

Theres no mention of MSC mode on the box or in the manual or quick start guide, bit of wishful thinking ?. incidentally you dont have to use Itunes to sync IPods, Mediamonkey works fine and does not wipe out music files on transferring to a new PC