Media missing but info says it's there

SansaVeiw 16GB

I went to play a video I'd been previously watching, when it asked me if I wanted to resume from previous point I selected that. Screen went black, I waited a bit and nothing happened. I turned it off, counted to 10 and turned it back on, the screen came up gray/white, I waited a few minutes, nothing happened. Tried to turn it off and it wouldn't turn off, tried repeatedly to turn it off with no success. Got the data cable and plugged it into my laptop, the connected screen came up. I unplugged it and it went to the Home menu. Turned it off, counted to 10 and turned it back on and it powered up normally and came up to the Home / Menu screen. Browsed to Video and the list was empty, checked my Music and list was empty (previously had 1,078 songs).

At this point I plugged it back into my PC via the data cable and browsed to it in Windows Explorer (show hidden files is enabled). Usually directly under the device drive letter I will see "Internal Memory" and I click on that and it opens up its directory structure and then shows me the video, music, playlists, etc. folders.

BUT

Now when I open the device letter I see TWO -- "Internal Memory" and "Expansion Card", I don't have an expansion card in it, I don't even own one.

When I open Internal Memory all my directory folders are there; video, music, playlists, etc. BUT they are all empty.

When I open Expansion Card it is totally empty, no folders or directory.

I unplug the SansaVeiw and from the Home / Menu I browse to; More --> Settings / Options --> System Settings --> Info

I see the following Info;

Version: 01.03.02A

Memory: 15530 MB

Free: 8628 MB -- (this is what I had before all this started happening, when I had the one movie and 1,078 song -- so this info hasn't changed)

Songs: 0 -- (previously there were 1,078 songs)

Audiobooks: 0

Videos: 1 -- (this is what I had before all this started happening, when I had the one movie and 1,078 song -- so this info hasn't changed)

Photos: 0

Voice Recordings: 0

FM Recordings: 0

I then opened up Sansa Updater on my PC and plugged the Sansa Veiw back into the PC and let it check, no new firmware update available.

Unplugged the SansaVeiw and the database refreshed, I then rejoiced thinking this is it!! It's fixed itself.

Browsed to music and video and both were empty, browsed to Info and same info as above.

Ran checkdisk per instructions in sticky and no errors. Checkdisk shows same memory size and free space as Info on device does.

So to sum it up;

the player is showing the same amount of memory being used as when it had 1,078 songs and one movie on it

none of the music or the movie show up on my PC (show hidden files enabled)

none of the music or the movie show up on the device

Info says there is one video

Internal Memory and Expansion Card are showing on my PC but there is no Expansion Card in the device

Database has been refreshed

Any idea?

--Jess

Re: Media missing but info says it's there

u prolly didnt want to read this, but it appears that the file got corrupted and therefore the view too; best bet to reformat and start fresh
SanDisk Senior User

I agree, it sounds like your database file has become corrupted. To my knowledge, the only solution is to format and transfer your music back.

V

I reformatted and now the Internal Memory only is showing in Windows Explorer and all the space is showing as free in Info. Pretty lame I had this problem as little as I've used the device, sounds like another firmware update is due.

--Jess

SanDisk Senior User

Jess,

From what I gather from your first post, you seem to be using MSC mode. Is there a reason for that? If you have Windows XP or Vista, you should probably be using MTP mode (Auto Detect). Database corruption happens much mode in MSC mode (actually, I don't remember it happening to someone in MTP mode).

V.

Ok, that's good to know, thank you.

I think I put it in MSC mode when I updated the firmware on it some months back and never changed the mode back. Again, if that's indeed happening more on devices in MSC mode would seem a firmware update to fix that would be thoughtful.

--Jess