Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Re: Media Converters

I don't think he would be confusing them.. at least i hope not Smiley Wink
Do you have the latest SMC.. version 4.212 i believe?
The ones before the newest one listed above, wont work with the view because they don't know what formats to put the files in. In the most likely case, you have a later verison of the SMC and it knows to put files in bmp because that's what the previous players used.
You can download the new SMC from the sandisk website under downloads, and under Sansa i believe is how it shows in the selection window
Having trouble with video transfer for your View? Try using the Any Video Converter (yes that's the name). It can be downloaded at www.any-video-converter.com (pick the free one) It's easy to use, just make it a .mp4
Highlighted

Hello everyone;

Can someone tell me how to download a media converter for a Sansa e260. I am going crazy trying to get it and no one
has been able to direct me to the right place.

Can anybody help? Thanks.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

i use the rhapsody media converter that came with my view. Only when you buy the Sansa View from Best Buy, do you get the Best Buy/Rhapsody media player/converter.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

I believe the Rhapsody/Best Buy e280 is a special Sansa (e280R iirc). That device may be configured differently from the other Sansas. I would recommend finding a converter that isn't brand or device specific if SMC isn't working out.

SMC is hit/miss for me. I believe there really is a problem with *.avi files, and it seems like the more files you set up to convert in one go, the more likely the program is to crash. And it really does take at least twice the play time of the vids to convert them, in my experience. It's a good thing podcasts are pretty much drag+drop.

I know I should use this AVC everyone is talking about, but I don't like the fact that it's not proprietary. SanDisk should have a working converter program for these devices.

And I'm sure that if I tried a freeware converter and something happened to my device, then SanDisk wouldn't cover it. I'm not a risk-taker, and I paid $150 for my 8 GB View. I'd like to feel I was getting my full money's worth, but I'd rather have a working player that doesn't do everything I'd like than a fried unit I can't take back.
Highlighted

i have tried any media converter and it converted them fine but when i drop them in to the "video" file for my sansa e260 it doesnt show up on my device
Highlighted

Try SUPER c converter. Its free at eRightSoft wesite. Works well and very adaptable.
Highlighted

It is free at eRightSoft!
Highlighted

Has anyone used the Any DVD Converter yet?  Its from AVC but costs $40.  It is a DVD ripper and converter in one and supposed to be faster than other converters.  I find that I have to rip a DVD to an AVI format using Magic DVD Ripper [$30] and to  then encode it for the View I use the Any Video Converter -free version as per the instructions in here.  Works very well, as its all in one file but it takes a long time.  If the Any DVD Converter can rip and then encode at the same time, it might save some time and steps.  Just curious.
Highlighted

for dvds I like to use dvd shrink (free) to rip the dvd to vob files and then handbrake  (free) with the low-res ipod preset

I usually tell it to turn a 2 hour movie into a 400 mb file and they look great.
Highlighted

I just got my 8gb Sansa view today, but I've already found that the combination of AnyDVD (for removing encryption/DRM/etc) and Handbrake (for ripping and encoding) is the easiest and highest quality method. As Feyde mentioned, you should select the Low-Res iPod preset for encoding in Handbrake (make sure to save as ".m4v"!). If you have AnyDVD, you can avoid using DVDShrink altogether, which will save a considerable amount of time. Playback has been flawless on the View and the audio has been perfectly synced.
For those of you wondering what advanced settings I used, they are as follows:
Picture Settings - Crop: Auto | Anamorphic PAR: OFF | Chapter Markers: ON (this is optional)
Video Settings - 2 Pass Encoding: ON | Turbo 1st Pass: ON | Video Framerate: Automatic (optional, but highly recommended) | Avg Bitrate: 750 kbps
Audio Settings - AAC: 160kbps | Track 1 Mix: Stereo

I don't consider myself to be a video encoding expert, by any means, but these settings have resulted in excellent encodes. I haven't encoded any movies yet, just a couple of TV episodes, but I'd estimate about 400mb for every hour of video. If this is too large, scaling down the Average Bitrate in the Video Settings would certainly help, but the video quality will likely suffer. Hopefully this post will be helpful. After seeing Feyde's post about being able to use Handbrake, I was sold on buying the View. Adding H.264 support to the View was a great decision on SanDisk's part. Integrating files MicroSD files into the library and allowing for H.264 movies made the View a much better choice than the Creative Zen for my needs.