Highlighted

MP3 Comedy Albums and Books-On-CD, Keeping Separate From Music

Hardware: View 16 GB, Windows XP Pro With Service Pack 2, Windows Explorer for drag & drop, Winamp V 5.04 and Windows Explorer for tag editing.

I've been experimenting with getting comedy albums and books-on-CD (not from their partner site, just ones I've ripped to MP3) onto the View. I had been looking for a method to separate them from the regular MP3's, since I don't want them popping up when I'm doing music shuffling. I found that by changing the genre of the album to Podcast and then placing it into the Podcast folder, I can keep it separate from the music.

This has worked once, but for some reason, it isn't working consistently.

On both of the two albums I've tried, I eliminated the Artist, Album, and Track # fields, and re-entered the Song information in this format:

Black, Lewis - Anticipation - 01 - This Moment

While the Windows Explorer Information editor did re-enter the Artist, Album, and Track # information, one of the albums shows up in a numerical list, in the format above, under Podcasts; the other keeps being put in with the music MP3's.

If anyone can suggest a workaround for this, or possibly even a program that would allow me to assemble the individual MP3's into one large podcast-format file, I would be very appreciative. 

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Re: MP3 Comedy Albums and Books-On-CD, Keeping Separate From Music

@Cyberwere wrote:

Hardware: View 16 GB, Windows XP Pro With Service Pack 2, Windows Explorer for drag & drop, Winamp V 5.04 and Windows Explorer for tag editing.

I've been experimenting with getting comedy albums and books-on-CD (not from their partner site, just ones I've ripped to MP3) onto the View. I had been looking for a method to separate them from the regular MP3's, since I don't want them popping up when I'm doing music shuffling. I found that by changing the genre of the album to Podcast and then placing it into the Podcast folder, I can keep it separate from the music.

This has worked once, but for some reason, it isn't working consistently.

On both of the two albums I've tried, I eliminated the Artist, Album, and Track # fields, and re-entered the Song information in this format:

Black, Lewis - Anticipation - 01 - This Moment

While the Windows Explorer Information editor did re-enter the Artist, Album, and Track # information, one of the albums shows up in a numerical list, in the format above, under Podcasts; the other keeps being put in with the music MP3's.

If anyone can suggest a workaround for this, or possibly even a program that would allow me to assemble the individual MP3's into one large podcast-format file, I would be very appreciative. 

The View is somewhat stupid about how it handles some things. If you just try to change the Tag information of the files while they are on the View it does not correctly update that info in it's database. So, you have to make the changes to (preferable extra copies) files on your computer before you put them onto the View.

Also, if the files were on the View and you just try to delete them and the replace them with the altered ones it won't update its database correctly because it thinks they are still the same original files.

So, to work around that stupidity you'll first have to connect the View and delete those files, then disconnect it, let it rebuild its database, and turn it off. Then, reconnect it and copy over the altered replacement files. Then when you disconnected it things should get updated in the database correctly.

If you are new to the Sansa View and have just gotten it recently, I should point out that the current firmware is _really_ full of bugs. The tends to crash, lock up, freeze, or do a number of other stupid things (like displaying that its charging even when its not connected). To get out of those conditions you'll have to do a reset.

You do that by holding the power switch to the on position and keeping it there for at least 15 seconds or so. Then let go. When you push the power switch up again it should then be able to start up. Depending on what the problem was it may lock up again when it tries to start up and refressh the database. Sometimes that is cause by the ID3 Tags being messed up in a file. Other times it is caused by corrupted files, which often happens when using MTP mode for the USB connection method. I switch to MSC mode on all my Sansa devices to avoid all the problems that MTP creates.

Be forewarned that any files you put on the View in MTP can not be seen on your computer later if you connect in MSC mode. Likewise files transfered in MSC mode can not be seen later when connected in MTP mode.

The only need for using MTP mode is for syncing with Windows MediaPlayer, or for DRM crippled music or audiobooks from Audible. Otherwise, it plenty easy to just drag-n-drop files using MSC mode instead.

Highlighted

Eventually, I plan on just formatting the View, for a different reason (I have to redo all the Tags anyway, since I want my songs listed alphabetically, not by album and track).

In the meantime, I'm looking for something to do conversion to podcast format, and see if that'll work.

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

For the View, as far as I know the only important thing (as far as keeping a podcast seperate from music) is that the ID3 tag for the Genre has to always be "Podcast". The Sansa Fuze is a bit easier to work with though because you don't have to mess with changing the genre tag. On the Fuze, there is a seperate folder for podcasts. Any files put in that folder automatically are kept seperate from the music. Would be nice if they'd come out with new firmware for the View that had some of the nice features that they gave us on the Fuze.

Since most audio podcasts are in MP3 format it's not to hard to change just the genre tag directly under the file Properties in Windows. If you want to check, change, or correct a lot of ID3 tags then there's a really great program that many use called MP3Tag. It's pretty easy to find with a quick Google search.

Highlighted

MP3Tag was an absolute miracle! Thanks!

I'm trying another program as well called MP3 Merger, to make the audiobooks and comedy albums into one big mp3 file (to prevent each track from appearing, and thus making a huge list to wade through each time).

Much appreciated!