Highlighted

JPEG Photos and MP4 Videos Showing Up As "Unsupported Media Format"

Hardware: View 16 GB, PC with Windows XP Pro SP 2, Windows Explorer used for drag & drop transfer.

This is a seemingly random occurrence, but I am having problems getting all of the JPEG's and MP4's to register when loaded into my View. They are in the proper format in my PC, but when transfered to my View, some of them show up as "Unsupported Media Format." There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Re: JPEG Photos and MP4 Videos Showing Up As "Unsupported Media Format"

@Cyberwere wrote:

Hardware: View 16 GB, PC with Windows XP Pro SP 2, Windows Explorer used for drag & drop transfer.

This is a seemingly random occurrence, but I am having problems getting all of the JPEG's and MP4's to register when loaded into my View. They are in the proper format in my PC, but when transfered to my View, some of them show up as "Unsupported Media Format." There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As the error message says, the files are not in a format that the View can work with.

For the JPEG's, the resolution or the file size of the image may be too high. Although you can use other software to alter the images first, the easiest way to get pictures onto the View is to use the Sansa Media Converter (because it knows what the View can work with). Just remember, as I mention in a reply to one of your other posts, that the View must be connected to you computer in order to use the SMC program.

Now, as for the MP4 videos, that's something more complicated. Read my reply to you otherr message for more info.

Highlighted

I'll give the Converter a shot. Truthfully, though, the whole reason I picked one of these up was so I wouldn't have to use any external programs to imput my stuff (a la iPods/Zunes).

As for the MP4's, which other post are you referring to? I've only done three (Comedy albums, Charging, and this one).

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

Well, I am working exclusively on Linux and therefore have no idea about SMC Smiley Wink ...

But you are right: there are unsupported JPEG formats! Unfortunately the exact file specs are not spread out by SanDisk. At least we (the community) can try to narrow down the correct requirements. And this is was I figured out so far (regarding photos transfered via MSC, not album art, no MTP experience):

1. All JPEG files are recognized as image files - they are handled correctly or not.
  2. Interlaced JPEG images are not displayed. That means you get the "Unsupported Media Format ..." screen or just a black image in thumbnail view.
  3. No limit in image size - so far. At least 1280x1024 pixel images will do it.

If you don't mind, you could provide me with an example erroneous image and I'll check it for you.

By the way, I have used ImageMagick to analyze the images.

Good luck and hope to solve your issues.

I forgot to emphasize that I don't own the Sansa View but the Sansa Fuze player. But I suspect quite a lot of similarities between both. So my post might still be of some help for you ...

@Cyberwere wrote:

I'll give the Converter a shot. Truthfully, though, the whole reason I picked one of these up was so I wouldn't have to use any external programs to imput my stuff (a la iPods/Zunes).

As for the MP4's, which other post are you referring to? I've only done three (Comedy albums, Charging, and this one).

Sorry, I accidently confused you with someone else I had replied to just before you.

Each player, regardless of what company, has it's own specifics for what file types and what format will work. So, quite often you do have to use some kind of converter program to get a video you have made or downloaded to work on portable devices. In general, if the file is an MP4 h.264 with a resolution of 320 x 240 it will usually (but not always) play if you put it directly onto the View. The View can handle several other resolutions and a few other encoding types also. There are a few threads about which ones others have found to work elsewhere in this forum and also over on the Anythingbutipod.com forum. You might want to look around at some of those posts to get a better idea of which file formats are compatible.

If you don't like using SMC, or if there are files that SMC just won't convert for you... there are other programs that can convert videos to a format that will work on the View. One that is mentioned quite often (and also works very well) is the Any Video Converter.

Working with video files is always a bit tricky. There's just too many variations and formats out there and no single device (or software for that matter) can handle each and every one of them.

Highlighted

Miltst: No harm done.

I'm not completely aversed to using an external converter. I just don't like one as rigid and draconian as iTunes.

I'll give the Sansa converter and Any Video Converter a shot. Thanks.

Ewelot: I appreciate the offer of help. I'm gonna mess around with it a bit longer, and see what I can manage. I'll get in touch with you if I get in over my head. Again, much obliged.