Highlighted
SanDisk User

Is the shuffle mode random?

I have my View loaded with 16GB of mp3 files and it usually starts from cold about once per week. Otherwise I resume playback from wherever I stopped.

However, some of my tracks seem to be getting played rather more frequently than statistics would suggest is correct for genuine random mode. I am starting to wonder whether the shuffle mode for playing music is properly random or uses some formula which results in the same tracks getting played if playback starts in the same place.

Has anyone else noticed this? Perhaps I should keep a log of what gets played.

John
Highlighted

Re: Is the shuffle mode random?

I've always questioned Sansa's "random" selection.  My first player (one of their little plastic 1gig jobies) always seemed to play the same songs, and I've especially noticed that if given the exact same parameters it will often start in the exact same place.  For instance, two days in a row I had it set to play all of the songs from one artist on random mode, and both times it started with the same song.  Granted, not an exhaustive study -- just something I've found *interesting* with two different Sansa products.
Highlighted

I play my player on shuffle repeat all every day to work and back in my car and also for an average of four or five hours each evening.   The random will fall into a definite pattern after a while.   It will start from cold on the same two or three songs then play subsequent songs in the same pattern.   Even resuming play instead of starting cold doesn't break the normal patterns.    It seems to have a preference for frequently played songs though, if you consistantly forward past one, it will drop it from the pattern in a week or so.  

Well to make a long story short, there must be a formula because the random is not at all random and I have way too much time on my hands.   LOL
Highlighted
SanDisk User

The easiest thing to do is enable the shuffle on a different song. This will cause it to play in an new shuffle order. Easy and fast fix!

Smiley Wink