Highlighted

Re: I HAVE A NEW Sansa View 16 GB - Features, specifications, and Q/A to follow...

MTP also shows 2 seperate devices...if that's what you were basing it on.  MSC and MTP look very similar.  I didn't know there was a difference until the View came out, actually...
Highlighted

Re: I HAVE A NEW Sansa View 16 GB - Features, specifications, and Q/A to follow...

With MSC, it shows up as two "top-level" devices in Windows Explorer.  With MTP under Windows XP, it shows up as 2 "folders" underneath a "Portable Device" called Sansa View.

With MSC, you get a drive letter, which with NTFS, could also be mounted as a folder under any other NTFS device (if you don't like wasting drive letters left and right.)  This allows you to easily script file transfers, etc.

AFAIK, there's no way to get a drive letter from MTP that would allow you to easily script file transfers, etc. to/from the View.  Maybe with using C++ and some specialized Microsoft API, but that'd be way too much work...
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Yes, its not difficult to tell how the device is connected.

Ziesemer, not to bug you on this topic agian, but you made mention that the View automatically loaded into UMS/MSC mode. I am wondering if this is an issue with the firmware (among many, MANY other problems [crashes, hangups after skipping songs, no true gapless playback]), as somone on another board mentioned that newer firmwares for the other Sansas will try MTP and then UMS/MSC mode automatically. I almost hope it is because that means there will be a fix for it in the future, hopefully within a few weeks. It is sad that SanDisk let these bugs out into the market because it makes a bad impression to the customer. I know may people who would just give up and return the device if it wasn't wokring the way they wanted to. Not many peopl have the patience to try and figure it out like we are.

Message Edited by gumbyx84 on 10-24-2007 11:26 AM
Highlighted

Thanks, everyone!  I was about to buy one of these (and a speaker system to go with it), but after reading thread, I see it's not worth it.  So you saved me money! Smiley Wink
Highlighted

@gumbyx84 wrote:
I almost hope it is because that means there will be a fix for it in the future, hopefully within a few weeks. It is sad that SanDisk let these bugs out into the market because it makes a bad impression to the customer. I know may people who would just give up and return the device if it wasn't wokring the way they wanted to. Not many peopl have the patience to try and figure it out like we are.
Message Edited by gumbyx84 on 10-24-2007 11:26 AM

I agree, I don't think this is going to be the iPod killer unless Sandisk fixes all these technical issues quickly.  Only 1 day into sales, and bestbuy.com already has 3 dismal reviews, all of which are due to technical problems with the UI and songs/videos mysteriously becoming "not compatible". 
Highlighted

well if you look at the best buy website
and check both 16GB and 8GB Sansa Views
for reviews
16GB - 3 bad reviews - None Good
8GB - 1 good review - None Bad
so ill just assume that the 8GB model works

Highlighted

that would be a bad assumption, as the firmware is goign to be identical.  the more likely conclusion is that fewer people have purchased the 8gb, or, fewer people have done anything but load a few tracks on the 8gb model.

i've played around with the video capabilities, and i must say, those seem very complete.  no errors yet.  that gives me hope that the firmware team was focusing on the video aspect of the firmware.  hopefully music functionality can be easily fixed, and this will turn into a great little player.
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
i prolly just get the 16GB one in a couple of weeks
 maybe by then the problems will be fixed

Message Edited by insanity336 on 10-24-2007 05:55 PM

Message Edited by insanity336 on 10-24-2007 05:55 PM
Highlighted

Update on the UMS/MSC mode problems: I found out how to force the View into UMS mode!! Someone at anythingbutipod post about it and I confirmed it. Smiley Happy The steps are as follows:

1. Plug your transfer cable into a USB port on your PC.
2. Fully shut down the View (hold up power/hold switch for 5-10 Seconds)
3. Turn the View back on
4. After the View has fully booted up, place it in hold mode
5. Press down the left side of the scroll wheel
6. While still holding down the scroll wheel, plug the cable into your View
7. Keep the scroll wheel pressed down until the device is mounted in your selected OS

I don't know why the Tech Support guy I talked to about this on the phone didn't know about this, but I could care less. I can now use my View on my Linux box without problems. Smiley Happy That is all I really care about. Enjoy guys!
Highlighted

How is the sound quality?

Frequency range 20 - 20 000 kHz or worse? Haven't found any sound specifications at all ...