Highlighted
SanDisk User

Re: How to use (force) MSC mode on the Sansa View

"GO SANSA!"

Hardly. Explain your media converter then. Took me two days to convert a video, and then it didn't work! And when I put it in MSC mode, it still refuses to play the video. The only reason I use the brand is because its down right CHEAP.

Silence fills the empty grave now that I have gone,
But my mind is not at rest, for questions linger on.
I will ask and you will answer.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

[ Edited ]
Having trouble with video transfer for your View? Try using the Any Video Converter (yes that's the name). It can be downloaded at www.any-video-converter.com (pick the free one) It's easy to use, just make it a .mp4

You forgot to mention that for serious videos, one must buy the full version; not really usuable for REAL movies.

Message Edited by DemonView on 07-28-2008 10:09 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

No... i didn't... it works fine for full videos. I've converted almost 40 full length movies and it worked just fine for me...

Also the SMC works just fine, It takes a little longer, but doesn't take me anywhere near 2days, probably an hour tops for a long movie. 

How fast is your computer?

Having trouble with video transfer for your View? Try using the Any Video Converter (yes that's the name). It can be downloaded at www.any-video-converter.com (pick the free one) It's easy to use, just make it a .mp4
Highlighted
SanDisk User

XP is what I'm running. Could you foward the the actual link to the download page; rather than the generic homepage? And it did take two days. Believe me.
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Again, depending on your computer's speed, it may take longer for some. Though I'm not running that crazy of a rig, just a Dual Core intel at 3.4gHz

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Ok...thanks for the link. However, you claim that all I have to do is make it into a MPEG-4 movie, correct? I do that, plays beautifully on the computer, but when I drag-n-drop, let the View do its thing, and try to view it, it says its a unsupported media type. Now what?! The best luck I've had is converting it to a WMV file. Any help? Or maybe a walkthrough? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I just don't want to go through the Sansa converter if I can help it.
Highlighted

Okay people I have the perfect video converter trick that is legal and free. Totally supported even.

use the sansa media converter since it relies on your installed codecs. Now if you run into a problem when your movie takes 48 hours or so you need to reinstall windows / upgrade hardware. The best place for the codecs is to get the k-lite codec pack. Now with that you can convert all them backed up movies you ripped

Highlighted
SanDisk User

Im not sure what you may be doing wrong. So far the free version has worked flawlessly for me. Are you making sure to do the settings like has been posted in several threads? I put together a guide for myself based on the posts here.

-----------Guide that works for me ----------------------------

Settings for “Any DVD / Video Converter”:

Profile: Apple iPod Video MPEG-4 Movie (this is the only profile to offer x264 video AND 29.97 fps encode/transcode)
Profile that worked for me using VOB sources is : Customized MP4 movie

From the menu: Edit, Options:

General Tab:

-Process Priority: Normal

-Number of Threads...: 0   (I use 2  as I have dual core)

Audio Tab:

-MPEG Type: MPEG-4

-Object Type: Main

-Encode: CBR

-MP3 Volume: Default

-Audio Quality: Default

Video Tab:

-Video Driver: DirectX

·                    Video Resize must be checked for non-native 320x240 (4:3) video sources.  Use “Fit to Width” for widescreen video sources, use “Fit to Height” for long video sources.  Both “Fit” modes must have checked “Round to 16 Pixels”.  In this way you preserve the aspect ratio of the original source, while still creating a View compliant 320x240 video.

From the output video settings box on the lower right:

DVD Options:

-Chapter: (Should be all the chapters in the main movie if ripping and converting DVD)

-Audio Language: (pick your language, but should be ac3 5.1 or ac3 2.0 for pure stereo, I found really no diff.  Just don't use commentary track !!)

-Subtitle: None    (unless you really want and can read really small text   :-)     )

-Angle: Default

Video Options:

-Video Codec: x264      (IMHO produces slightly better video, but slightly larger tho)

-Video Size: 320x240

-Video Bitrate: 512

-Video Framerate: 29.97    (again 29.97 for NTSC DVD and other NTSC sources, others keep at their original framerate, this will keep audio in sync)

Audio Options:

-Audio Codec: aac

-Audio Bitrate: 160

-Sample Rate: 44100

-Audio Channel: 2

-Disable Audio: No

-A/V Sync:  Default     (really important, somewhere in forum, someone said use "Basic".  Basic, for me at least, actually caused audio out of sync.  Default fixed this)

-Audio Track: Default

·                    When ripping copy protected DVDs, SlySoft’s AnyDVD (or equivalent) must be used to eliminate the CSS protection.  The above settings should be used for ripping all NTSC DVDs.  When converting generic videos, the video codec can be x264 or mpeg4.

Highlighted

s well as a couplek this is pssing me off So at my cousin's place, I've put some database in the mp3 player (mostly word stuff) and if I open it, the files are there, but when I drag it to the PC, it won't move!!! I've tried converting it into a MCS or watever, and it works, but I can't open it! (P:, says Enter the Drive or sommat)
Highlighted

Thanks for the useful tips!