Highlighted
SanDisk User

How to retrieve music from a broken player.

A long time ago, I had a View that was 16GB and I filled it to the brim. Then it got messed up. The screen went wacko and I couldn't even turn it on after a while. But for some reason I kept it even after I bought a Fuze and just out of curiosity, I plugged it in tonight. Now it'll only turn on if it's plugged into the computer. I think it still has some old music on it and while I think I've done a decent job of collecting my music, I'd like to see what could be in it and if I missed anything. Is there anyway I can look into the memory?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: How to retrieve music from a broken player.

Sure, just open Windows Explorer (My Computer). Note that there are 2 different USB connection settings, MTP & MSC. Files can only be seen and accessed on your computer while connected in the same mode as they were originally transferred in. In other words, if your music was added in MTP mode, you'll only be able to see them while connected in that mode. Same for MSC.

So, if you can't see any of your files, unplug & change the USB setting in Settings to the other one and re-connect. Now you should be able to drag & drop the files back to your computer for back-up storage or re-transfer to your new Fuze. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
SanDisk User

When I try to unplug it and change the USB settings, the second I unplug it from the computer, it turns off and I can't turn back on. I added the music in MSC mode, and it's stuck in MTP. Smiley Sad I just can't turn it back on unless it's plugged into the computer.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

I don't have a View so I can't say for sure if this will work, but (at least) on the e200 series you can 'force' MSC mode by sliding the HOLD switch on and holding the REW |<< button while plugging it into the computer. Continue holding until it boots up and Windows Explorer recognizes it.

If it's like its little brother the e200, your View will now be in MSC mode. It should come up as 2 separate drives (internal memory and external memory card slot) under Devices With Removable Storage.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

I just get a lock signal. This isn't going to work, is it? Smiley Very Happy Smiley Sad

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Try this.

Highlighted

Is there any way to retrieve music from a player that's battery has melted? (The gold rectangle inside it is a battery, right?)