Reply
Highlighted
SanDisk User
Posts: 38
Registered: ‎03-17-2008

Hi Everyone - Shuffle issues?

I have a Sansa View and the darndest thing keeps happening.  When I have a lot of music going and I shuffle, the darn thing hangs up for several minute at a time?  Does anyone else around here in these parts have the same problem?  Is there any way that I can fix it?  Jeepers it's annoying!

Highlighted
Newbie
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎11-30-2008

Re: Hi Everyone - Shuffle issues?

The only thing that I have found that helps is going to your options and resetting all factory settings.  Doing that won't erase any of your content, but i'm not sure what will happen if you have upgraded the software.  If I put my playlist on shuffle, and let it play, without changing the track myself, shuffle works.  If it starts to hang up then I'll reset the settings.  Also I noticed that once it gets stuck, if you don't touch it, when the screen times out and goes blank, then it will try to catch up.  So you can change the screen time out to 10 seconds, that way if it does get stuck, the longest you have to wait is 10 seconds.  I hope this helps.  I am new to the view and so far i'm not liking it to much. 
Highlighted
Newbie
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎01-12-2008

Re: Hi Everyone - Shuffle issues?

1. install the latest firmware

2. do not use "last played" to resume where you left off-- go to music-artists-play all or whatever it is youre trying to listen to every time you turn the unit on, even if its just from a sleep mode where it doesnt shut all the way off.

3. hope for the best.

 

i also have "repeat" set to "off."  no idea if that matters at all.  youll probably still hang from time to time on individual tracks, but it should catch up pretty quickly.

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User
Posts: 156
Registered: ‎05-19-2008

Re: Hi Everyone - Shuffle issues?

i have no hang with shuffle, i run latest firmware (i truly believe it does not matter) i use the last played selection (that dont matter either though) and i use my go list. the point of shuffle is so that you dont have to look down at it and change the song, it should just keep going, so even if it hangs, sound playback should not stop. I really dont know why people have this problem(maybe its been dropped 1 to many times?)

       

       

Highlighted
SanDisk User
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎08-06-2008

Re: Hi Everyone - Shuffle issues?

I found when I uploaded by music in MSC mode rather MTP, performance in shuffle mode improved. It isn't perfect and can still freeze now and then, but worth a try.
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User
Posts: 138
Registered: ‎03-20-2008

Re: Hi Everyone - Shuffle issues?


@IAmAI wrote:
I found when I uploaded by music in MSC mode rather MTP, performance in shuffle mode improved. It isn't perfect and can still freeze now and then, but worth a try.

Funny, I actualy foud exactly the opposite. That and the fact that MSC causes much more problems than it solves.

 

V.

Highlighted
SanDisk User
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎08-06-2008

Re: Hi Everyone - Shuffle issues?


@vroom wrote:

@IAmAI wrote:
I found when I uploaded by music in MSC mode rather MTP, performance in shuffle mode improved. It isn't perfect and can still freeze now and then, but worth a try.

Funny, I actualy foud exactly the opposite. That and the fact that MSC causes much more problems than it solves.

 

V.


Interesting. I know MSC mode is less conveinient as you have to put up with database refreshes, but overall I found performance was better when I switched to it. Does MTP really perform better than MSC for you?

 

On a seperate note, I've heard suggestions from others to use constant bitrate MP3 encoding rather than variable. Also, I've notice my View sometimes freezes when I request a zoomed view of the album art. Perhaps avoiding uploading album art may improve performance (MP3 files themselves can also contain album are as well).

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User
Posts: 138
Registered: ‎03-20-2008

Re: Hi Everyone - Shuffle issues?

[ Edited ]

@IAmAI wrote:

 

Interesting. I know MSC mode is less conveinient as you have to put up with database refreshes, but overall I found performance was better when I switched to it. Does MTP really perform better than MSC for you?

 

On a seperate note, I've heard suggestions from others to use constant bitrate MP3 encoding rather than variable. Also, I've notice my View sometimes freezes when I request a zoomed view of the album art. Perhaps avoiding uploading album art may improve performance (MP3 files themselves can also contain album are as well).


Well, I think the differences as far as freezing goes is very subtle, it might just be an impression... As for the rest, the view crashes much less it seems with MTP (by crash, I mean go blank and shut down when touching nothing), I don't have to put up with the anoying refresh screen, I used to have a lot of problems with repeating song names in MSC, I don't anymore in MTP, playlists are much easyer to create in MTP (even without using any external software appart from Windows). Unless you system (OS) does not support MTP, I just don't see why use MSC, since that goes against the original design of the View, and you are just asking for trouble (just my 2 cents).

 

BTW, I don't know if constant bitrate helps with freezing, but it sure helps with battery life... Because of this all my music was converted to constant bitrate (usually 128 kbps, 192 when good quality is important for a particular song).

 

V.

Message Edited by vroom on 12-08-2008 10:28 AM
Highlighted
Newbie
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎09-29-2008

Re: Hi Everyone - Shuffle issues?

 



This became such an issue that I sent the thing back for 'repair'.

It's just been replaced with a new unit and the bottom line is that it simply cannot handle shuffle when almost at capacity and you wish to skip the odd song.

It exhibits all the orignal frustrating hangs - and these are not trivial if you skip a song and bump the wheel causing the volume to raise - this change may not take place until a minute or so passes then of course you have to rip the buds from your ears because responses to lower the volume also take a minute or so to take place.

If you want shuffled playback on the View, load it with something that randomises your music in the first place - mediamonkey or WMP.

** But leave the 'shuffle' setting to off **.

I haven't fooled with firmware on the replacement unit (1.02) or any other settings.

No more freezes, hangs or frustration (especially important for the upcoming 12000km motorcycle ride planned).

The view has a great form factor and plays great music and is vibration proof (so far) - so it's a keeper as long as I don't use 'shuffle'!
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Highlighted
SanDisk User
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎08-06-2008

Re: Hi Everyone - Shuffle issues?


@vroom wrote:

Well, I think the differences as far as freezing goes is very subtle, it might just be an impression... As for the rest, the view crashes much less it seems with MTP (by crash, I mean go blank and shut down when touching nothing), I don't have to put up with the anoying refresh screen, I used to have a lot of problems with repeating song names in MSC, I don't anymore in MTP, playlists are much easyer to create in MTP (even without using any external software appart from Windows). Unless you system (OS) does not support MTP, I just don't see why use MSC, since that goes against the original design of the View, and you are just asking for trouble (just my 2 cents).


I thought I'd give MTP mode another ago, and as before, the freezing problem is significantly worse. It completely locked up not long into the first song. In MSC mode it can usually manage a few songs before it freezes and often when it does it usually resumes after a reasonable amount time. So, I'm going to switch back to MSC when I have a chance. I'll have to deal with all the drawbacks of MSC (I'm repeated plagued by song duplication) but it's prepared to put up with them so I can shuffle all my songs.


BTW, I don't know if constant bitrate helps with freezing, but it sure helps with battery life... Because of this all my music was converted to constant bitrate (usually 128 kbps, 192 when good quality is important for a particular song).


This implies that variable bitrate decoding is more processor intensive. I've always suspected that when the View freezes it's doing something so intensive that it can not respond to any user input in a timely manner.