Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Had enough !!

Had my 16 gb view for about a year,it was great,so i purchased another 8gb SDHC card to transfer videos of my fav shows.

This was fine until i realised everytime the bloomin thing refreshed there was an additional copy on the sd card ,for example 8 copies of one programe!!

I lived with this and the audiobook problem but the latest thing has drove me crazy and made me fed up.

I was going away for weekend and spent all morning putting new mp3 tracks onto it by synching with MP11 but to my annoyance no tracks showed up on my view!!

So got back today and connected it up with MP 11 again and the tracks are all there but nothing is showing up on the view!!!!!!!

The thing is,i have an extended warranty on the thing and i am getting so fed up i unfortunately might break it with frustration!!!

I never use the extended warranty get out clause but so disalusioned with it! any ideas why nothing showing up?they are all mp3 tracks,and what about jumping ship for an ipod touch?

Is it worth reformatting the whole thing? or giving it up????

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: Had enough !!

Sansa is having hard problems and I know two. Movies I like wont convert over or if I stop in the middle of a movie my view resets itself. Ipods to me suck and are crap. Stick with Sandisk for a while. You have a Warranty you can use it.
Highlighted
SanDisk User

@jaseouk wrote:

This was fine until i realised everytime the bloomin thing refreshed there was an additional copy on the sd card ,for example 8 copies of one programe!!

You can stop this annoying behavior by making sure to transfer all video through MTP drag-n-drop instead of putting media on the card using an external card reader or MSC mode.  When you double-click the View in MTP mode, with the microSDHC card in it, you'll see two choices Internal Memory and Expansion Card.  You can open the Expansion Card folder and just drag your video right into it.

I don't remember who posted this first, but since I copied all of my video through MTP, I have no more duplicates.

BTW, it doesn't *really* duplicate anything, just the titles in the listings.

I was going away for weekend and spent all morning putting new mp3 tracks onto it by synching with MP11 but to my annoyance no tracks showed up on my view!!

So got back today and connected it up with MP 11 again and the tracks are all there but nothing is showing up on the view!!!!!!!

Is it worth reformatting the whole thing? or giving it up????

What do you mean by "the tracks are all there but nothing is showing up on the view"? 

Are you connecting through MTP or MSC?  I have found that you have far better results using ONLY MTP ... mixing modes seems to cause a lot of frustration and database refreshing issues.

Reformatting and making sure everything gets transfered through MTP might be worth it.

Highlighted

Many thanks for replying,before the last lot of songs disapeared i had trouble with the sansa i unfortunately disconnected the mp3 while it was connected without going through the "safely remove hardware"  option.This resulted in the computer (vista) not recognising it when i re-inserted the usb.After many attempts i did the hold setup button while inserting the cable this seemed to have worked(but maybe not as i have found out!)

On the menu of the sansa the usb is set to auto detect and underneath this is written MSC.

1,Do you think this is why all mp3s are on but only the songs i had on originaly are showing? if i open to explore files on sansa they are quite clearly there and my memory has reduced accordingly.

2 How do i go back? will the drivers(that were missing after i unplugged it) will re-install?

Another thing Smiley Tongue i changed an audiobook into podcast which works well but are you allowed only one in the directory ?  will i have to wait until i finish it and just synch another because nothing again is showing up?????

Thanks very much for your help....

i realise only one copy of the video is on card but i took the (other 7 )copies off and was lefy with none!!!  LOL

Highlighted
SanDisk User

My guess is that maybe you unplugged it while it was trying to copy something ... that can mess up the internal database. 

However, I never use the "Safely Remove Hardware" option on either XP or Vista for any of my MP3 players (a View, an iRiver and a Napster) and never have problems.  I doubt it would have messed anything up if it was just sitting there, but connected.

Reinstalling MTP drivers can be a pain, but there's good advice here on the board ... just do a search and you'll find what you need.

You can have as many Podcasts as you have memory for, so something else must be up with your View.

I'd recommend formatting your View and then reinstalling the MTP driver on your Vista machine and then transferring everything back using MTP only.  Mixing modes seems to cause the most problems.  For sure, your PC can't see MSC-transfered files when in MTP mode and vice-versa.  But, the View should see everything no matter how it was transfered.

Highlighted

Thanks for reply,no computer sees all of the files but the view doesnt,

You could be right about reformatting.....if i do use MTP will artwork show up?

many thanks

Highlighted
SanDisk User

All of my artwork shows up for any tracks I've downloaded from Napster and any mp3 files that I add the artwork to (using WMP) ... all of it transfered by MTP.

I've never tried the technique of putting the graphics file (named some specific name I can't remember, now) in each directory.  That always seemed like way too much work when I can just drag-and-drop artwork right into the mp3 files with WMP and then the art goes with the music no matter where I put it.

Highlighted

The latest is; view was plugged in and i did the same,unplugged without asking to remove,it then refreshed database like normal but seemed to hang,i thought it had crashed but just left it(in disgust) but to my amazement it hadnt crashed and al missing mp3s are now on!!!!

The podcast talking books,transferred to the video folder? but thats ok,

i still might reformat but now hes my little friend again!!!!    Smiley Happy