alo

Gapless playback

I thought the sansa 8Gig view had gapless playback? If so how do I turn it on?

TIA

Alo

SanDisk Professor

Re: Gapless playback

It was officially supposed to have gapless playback, but any mention of it was since removed from the manual, since they decided not to update the firmware.
alo

Thanx, Yelped

Maybe somewhere down the line they will update it. anyway I did not buy it for that feature.

thanx again, Alo.

SanDisk User

If I'm understanding the term gapless playback correctly, I find that it would only apply to a few song "pairs" that I listen to.  (Like Alan Parsons Project: Sirus/Eye in the Sky, Jackson Browne: The Loadout/Stay.)

What I did is download an mp3 editor (audacity, available free at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). I spliced the two songs together into a single mp3.  (Took a little playing around to get the timing right, removing fractions of a second of time in the "gap" between them so it sounds right.)  Once I get it right, export as a single mp3, give it a combined name, put it in the folder for the music album, move the old two songs for backup to another folder (in case I need to do it over), re-synchronize with the View (or just drag and drop, and delete the two mp3 files from the View).

Sounds good after it's accomplished. I actually like listening to it more after fixing it, instead of kind of dreading the gap as it's coming up.

Highlighted

I must admit, ripping an entire disk as one track is a pretty inconvenient gaplessless playback workaround. It's not like the View's fwd/rev speeds would make it a minor inconvenience.